mtbr member

New question here. Any experience with Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti QR15

I'm in the process of planning a 5.5" full suspension 29" trail bike. I want to fit it with a 140mm. fork to match the rear suspension. Unfortunately Rock Shox, Manitou and Fox have not yet come to the party with a long travel 29" fork. For 2010 Marzocchi have a 29" version of their 44 Micro Ti QR15. It is very new and I'm sure that not to many people have ridden one. Technically it appears to be the same as the 26" version. I would like to ask anyone who has some input on the fork, either the 26" or 29" versions, to post their impressions.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think the 2010 forks are due to arrive at the end of the month.

I hear Zocci have now moved everything back in-house for 2010 forks, have redesigned the bushings, the 15qr axle and ditched the unreliable and difficult to service damping cartridge (fox please take note!).

Apparently the warranty return rate for 2009 forks (2008 ones were very poor) was very small so fingers crossed Zocci are back to their best.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RicB

I hear Zocci have now moved everything back in-house for 2010 forks, have redesigned the bushings, the 15qr axle and ditched the unreliable and difficult to service damping cartridge (fox please take note!).

Apparently the warranty return rate for 2009 forks (2008 ones were very poor) was very small so fingers crossed Zocci are back to their best.
    Yeah that is mostly true, production is still in Taiwan but everything has been redesigned and tolerances improved even further. They have a new machining process for the bushings and things like ATA which worked well but was a little complicated have been dropped and replaced with a simpler air spring with a coil negative spring (like a Fox float)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ...difficult to service damping cartridge (fox please take note!).
    What issue do you have with Fox dampers? They're the most reliable things going.

mtbr member
    That may be true for after market forks but they have already been supplied to and been sold by Niner Bikes. They are OEM equipment with a tapered steerer on the new Niner WFO so some people have already been riding them.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just don't like sealed damping units. I fail to see any advantage apart from a few hundred grams of weight saved and they're a pain to service, unlike open bath. The sealed damping cartidge on Zocci forks was one of the commonest faults.

I disagree that they're the most reliable things going and have seen several Fox dampers blow. A friend who regularly rides in the alps blows his every 3 months and has had to buy a spare damping cartridge to use when his is with TFT.

Haven't we had this argument before? :-)

Code Burr

... and if we just ...

I just don't like sealed damping units. I fail to see any advantage apart from a few hundred grams of weight saved and they're a pain to service, unlike open bath. The sealed damping cartidge on Zocci forks was one of the commonest faults.

I disagree that they're the most reliable things going and have seen several Fox dampers blow. A friend who regularly rides in the alps blows his every 3 months and has had to buy a spare damping cartridge to use when his is with TFT.

Haven't we had this argument before? :-)

Your friend with the damper problem, is it on the new FIT forks or old open bath units? Theres really not much that can go wrong in the open bath units, maybe the teflon seal could fail and then the o ring at the top of the cart would blow. Then again everything breaks if the pressure is applied just right. Is he hammering nails with it or what?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    He's got a Fox 36 with the cartridge damper. He sent it back 4 times last year but does give it some real hammer :-)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of technology advancing and bike components improving BUT I wonder if component technology is currently outstripping reliability and rendering products too expensive for them to be viable in the current marketplace.

My rp23 shock lasts 12-18 months between servicing. All I do is keep the shaft clean and squirt some 10wt oil in every 6 months. But I'm supposed to perform a lowers service on my forks every 2 rides? How does that work?! Do 4x4 drivers rebuild their cars after using them offroad?

Combine that with the fact prices in the UK have gone ballistic (36 Talas is now almost 1000GBP) and I can't really see the point of a new damper that will only make a noticeable difference in performance to probably 0.1% of riders, costs 200GBP more and is non user serviceable.

My ideal fork is a coil sprung, open bath, 15 or 20qr axle fork with decent compression adjustments. Hello Zocci 44 Ti RC3, where have you been all my life :-)