mtbr member

Any difference between 2011 and 2012 Fox Talas forks?

Ive been looking at possibly upgrading my fork that came on my giant trance, but wanted to know if there's a big difference between '11 and '12 models. i saw there's a big thread about 2011 creaking, so im a bit concerned about that, but im guessing 2012 are too new to know if they still have the creaking?

mtbr member
    Bump

mtbr member
    The biggest difference I would say are the new SKF low friction seals for 2012. If you can get a 2011 model for a good price, I would go that route and simply invest $30 on the new seals. Plus IMO, the 2011 Talas looks better in terms of the color scheme vs. the 2012 stuff.

Also the Kashima coating is different in appearance for 2012. There have been some threads about the 2011 Kashima coating flaking off for people.

But either way, Fox will take care of you regardless. I recently sent in my 2011 Float 36 for a clunk I heard, they found nothing, installed new bushings, new SKF seals, all done under warrnaty.

But the biggest shock was when I received the fork back, with shiny new lowers and axle, since I asked the tech over the phone is there anything that could be done to the top brake post mount as I've stripped the first two threads init. To my surprise they gave me new lowers. Total cost spent was zero, all done under warranty.

And just by cycling the fork off the bike, I can feel A LOT less stiction with the new SKF seals.

mtbr member
    thanks