No talent hack
    Nov 2010

Am I screwed? Trek STP200 rear shock

So I have searched and searched, I know there use to be info about a Cane Creek replacement, but I bet it is long gone now. I must suck at searching because I can't turn up anything here or on the net.

Anyway.

I know my rear shock on my STP200 is dieing. Negative air was ZERO this morning and there is the oil residue on the shaft. I am just getting back into biking after a 10 year hiatus (and thus the reason I am riding a 10 year old bike). I find myself in a bit of financial SUCK right now and I am trying to save up for a new bike. The question is... do any of you folks know where to get a replacement shock OR a rebuild kit for this thing?

My next option is to fabricate something to replace the shock with to make it a hard tail. I loved this bike 10 years ago, but I never should have bought it. It is a XC "racing" bike and I definitely don't and never did race. I should have stuck with a plain old hard tail instead of lusting after carbon....
    Fat guys need bikes too.

Former Bike Wrench
    Sounds like a simple servicing and you'll be on the trail. The SID rear shock was a very serviceable and reliable shock, one of my favorites of all time.

Check with the forum's sponsor (Risse) on servicing cost or Cane Creek if they have any oldr AD5 replacements.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I am taking it in to my LBS in a day or so... without the shock, I am bikeless... and that is a drag. :-( I am hoping it is a simple service.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    All right... I am inpatient and have found the info I needed... but I have no source for the parts.

I know I need the SID rear shock revive kit (SRAM part # 11.4305.949.000)... now... any ideas WHERE I can get parts? Direct from SRAM? Other options?
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    When the shock is running those are brilliant frames. Hope you can get the rebuild kit and service. If not... I worked at a big Trek dealer for years and bought a spare everything for my bikes including a replacement SID shock for my STP. I eventually put enough miles on it with a Moots seatpost that the seat bond popped and I just took the warranty credit toward the EX I ride now. If you need I will part with it for pretty cheap. Hopefully you can just get the seal kit. The stanchion is the deciding factor - if it is scored then you would be better to just replace the shock but I agree that service is relatively easy and the shock could last a very long time. Cheers.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Despite being 10 years old, the bike has VERY little ride time. I bought the bike and thought I hurt my knee almost immediately back in 2001.... I think I rode it 3 times that year. I started riding again at the end of July this year after figuring out my knee has always been fine but the bike wasn't set up for me (immediate knee pain when I rode).... after setting the bike up and changing some things on it, I have put ~100 miles on it through August before the seal blew. Thankfully, the stanchion looks fine and I have not rode it with the negative air blown.

My game plan is simple... I am going to see if I can fab up a spacer this weekend so I can keep riding (I have been riding on a concrete path because I am a fat ass trying to get back into the game and too much off road will kill this very nice frame) and then take the shock to my LBS.... hopefully, I can get it back... a conversation with SRAM on Wednesday makes me think it could take a prayer to get parts... I will let you know as soon as I know about the offer... and thank you for the offer!!!!!
    Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Just picked my bike up from the shop. Serviced, cleaned and lube the shock and everything is fine... she is holding air once again. :-) back to biking I go!
    Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Just for follow up. After the first ride, the shock was a waste again. I think the LBS just got lucky when it held air. The essentially took the shock apart and put it back together. The mech said he "flipped" the o-rings around and it was holding air... I have learned in rebuilding it myself, the negative air seal was completely shot.

I started searching again for anyone or any place that might have the rebuild kit in stock. No luck. I then started searching fro a replacement shock.... and my first stop was eBay. With my first search, I found a seller that claimed to be selling rebuild kits for this shock.

ford focus | eBay

The seller's name was ford*focus. I took the chance ($25 was a small gamble... even after the LBS took $40 to not fix my shock). I also order some Judy Butter for assembly. After struggling a bit to get the negative air seal and wiper reseated, I am a happy camper. I haven't gone on a full blown ride, but I have messed around with the bike in my house and it is holding air in both chambers. :-)

So for those that air searching (since I had a hard time finding threads to help me out): Rock Shox SID; rear shock; rebuild kit; negative air; Fox Shock; air shock; blown shock; blown negative air; Judy Butter; Trek STP; STP200; STP300; Moots YBB Air; Fox Float Vanilla; Cane Creek AD-5 AD-8; Fox Alps;
    Fat guys need bikes too.