mtbr member

All Mountain III adjustments

Hey everyone. I recently got an 05 Marz AM III and don't understand how the adjustments work. I'm not the brightest when it comes to adjustments, I understand the simple things: compression/preload, and rebound. The fork is adjusted by pumping up the left and right legs. To me it seems that both of the legs are preload, as I add more pressure to each of them - the fork gets much stiffer. What is the recommended psi for each leg - I weigh 125 lbs. Also, what does increasing/decreasing the amount of oil in the fork do and what are the dangers of riding with low oil levels. What's the recommended oil weight for this fork?

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruzovik
    Hey everyone. I recently got an 05 Marz AM III and don't understand how the adjustments work. I'm not the brightest when it comes to adjustments, I understand the simple things: compression/preload, and rebound. The fork is adjusted by pumping up the left and right legs. To me it seems that both of the legs are preload, as I add more pressure to each of them - the fork gets much stiffer. What is the recommended psi for each leg - I weigh 125 lbs. Also, what does increasing/decreasing the amount of oil in the fork do and what are the dangers of riding with low oil levels. What's the recommended oil weight for this fork?
    Keep the pressure in both legs approximately the same. The pressure is whatever feels good to you. Running much too low of oil will screw up your damping. If you're runnign within recommended range, the lower oil amount will translate to less bottomout resistance, the higher oil amount will result is more bottomout resistance. Too much oil will result in inabilitiy to reach the bottom of travel. Oil in your fork is Golden Spectro 125/150 (7wt)

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    If you have the time, or are doing an oil change, try a high quality 5 wt. fork oil. the fork will compress & recover a little faster through bumps. I run lighter oil in all my forks, me & 150 lbs, you at even less. Don't know oil levels for this fork, try calling Marzocchi. I always have good luck with them, but you HAVE to talk to a tec for accurate info.
    If you're not in the us, let me know & I'll call for you tomorrow, I live just a few minutes from zoke so. cal.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Sorry it took me so long to reply - I've been out. Thanks to both of you for the information. I think I like the rebound of the fork right now, don't really want to mess with oil - maybe only when I need to actually change it. Does anybody know which leg the spring is located in? MK, I saw your All Mountain 1 and I am really interested in the upgrades you did to it. Are the Drop off lowers the same as AM - did you have to do any modifications to fit them? I was looking at both of them and they look the same. Also, do you know if I can fit any of the adjustments onto my fork? I'm talking about say external rebound/preload, ETA, and everything else.
    I have a 130-150mm model. Standard Z1 lowers fit this fork. They don't fit the 110-130mm model. All other mods are inherent to the AM1. You can upgrade the dampers, but you'll be spending a lot of money and you'll be better off just getting a different fork. The mod which allows for infinite adjustment of the TST actually is Renegade's mod. He happens to live near by and was modding his so he kindly made me an extra insert.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Sorry it took me so long to reply - I've been out. Thanks to both of you for the information. I think I like the rebound of the fork right now, don't really want to mess with oil - maybe only when I need to actually change it. Does anybody know which leg the spring is located in? MK, I saw your All Mountain 1 and I am really interested in the upgrades you did to it. Are the Drop off lowers the same as AM - did you have to do any modifications to fit them? I was looking at both of them and they look the same. Also, do you know if I can fit any of the adjustments onto my fork? I'm talking about say external rebound/preload, ETA, and everything else.

mtbr member
    Damn, I have the 110 version - wasn't planning on putting a 20mm axle, but it would have been nice to know I could. So the 110 and 150 versions are different? How? I thought that if I get a travel change kit from 110 to 150 I would have a fork that's identical to the 150 model.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Damn, I have the 110 version - wasn't planning on putting a 20mm axle, but it would have been nice to know I could. So the 110 and 150 versions are different? How? I thought that if I get a travel change kit from 110 to 150 I would have a fork that's identical to the 150 model.
    My experience is limited on the matter. SSINGA or JNCarpenter are the real experts here.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho