mtbr member

Air fork suddenly lost most of its pressure

On a ride this morning I noticed my fork (2013 Fox 32 Evolution CTD 29) was packing down right to the stops and I'd lost all suspension.

On getting back home I found there was only 20psi of pressure instead of the 85psi I usually ride with. I'd only checked it about a week ago, so I know it was at correct pressure then. Anyway, I pumped it back up and seems to be holding the pressure so far.

This is a relatively new fork (only 57 hours on it so far) so I wouldn't expect any seals to have worn.

Any suggestions as to what it might be before I have to take it back to LBS and lose use of the bike for three weeks (yes, where I live its 3 weeks turnaround for Fox warranty work).

Thanks.

I Like Bicycles
    Check the top cap where the valve is. Make sure that it's tight. If it's loose, you can easily tighten it with an adjustable wrench.

Also, you can usually hear where the air is coming from if it's leaking. Just pump the fork and listen to it in a quiet place. If it's the valve itself, you can tighten the valve with a sewing needle. This has worked for me several times.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions Thimk, but nothing obviously loose, and no noise of air escaping, in fact the fork held full pressure overnight, so maybe its only while riding?!?

I thought of something else relevant I should mention, I had a crash earlier in the ride where I clipped the bar on a tree, steering turned sideways, and I went flying! Could a 'trauma' to the fork (there were probably some major twisting forces on it) cause a one-off loss of pressure I wonder? Hmmm...

I Like Bicycles
    I'm thinkin' it may be the seals at this point?
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimk View Post
    I'm thinkin' it may be the seals at this point?
    Ok, but as its holding pressure at the moment - maybe a one-off 'burp' of a seal?

Perhaps I should ride it again next weekend to see if the problem repeats, and only then take out the air spring and inspect the seals.