mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Aheadset: removal of fork.

I was stripping my frame for a rebuild and got everything off except for the front suspension. Is there a trick to removing the fork from the Aheadset or just "gentle persuasion" with a rubber mallet ?

dirtbag
    When you say "Aheadset" are you talking about the fork still on the frame or the headset (race) still on the fork?
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    im talking about getting the fork out of the frame. and its the AHEADSET branded threadless headset.

im afraid to do anything before I get some direction, been so long since I removed it etc i dont want to fudge it up!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you have the stem, spacers, top cap removed, the fork should just fall out, but gentle persuasion can be used.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just removed the fork off my $30 project bike... the persuasion was far from gentle. And then I figured out I didn't have the compression ring removed.. that made it easier.

And to get the compression ring out, I gave an ungentle tap to the top of the fork to induce a little slack in the system and then pried the plastic compression ring out with a screwdriver.

Your results may vary.. shop teacher's note: screwdrivers are not to be used for prying, wear safety glasses.. consider the investment you have in your ride prior to conducting brute force removals.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by saint urho View Post
    I just removed the fork off my $30 project bike... the persuasion was far from gentle. And then I figured out I didn't have the compression ring removed.. that made it easier.
    Great point there!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    thats the ring with the little slot in the top of it right?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    yep

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    how do you pry it out? I was trying with a screwdriver but was afraid to pry to much

Former Bike Wrench
    Give the top of the steer tube a firm smack with a dead blow rubber mallet, it will either release the fork completely or move it enough to pull the compression ring out. I have probably removed a thousand forks in my life and have never had to use a screwdriver to pry the compression ring off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks 72, thats all I needed to know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saint urho View Post
    And to get the compression ring out, I gave an ungentle tap to the top of the fork to induce a little slack in the system
    +1. I've a small bit of 1x lumber that I keep handy for that purpose. I lay the board across the top of the steerer tube to protect it, and give a good whack with a hammer. The board is only so that I'm not hitting metal on metal from my hammer to the steerer.