mtbr member
    May 2010

After local bike shop F32 RL repair

My girlfriend's 2011 f-32 RL was leaking fluid last week, so we took it into the LBS to have the seals replaced and the fork serviced. They replaced the seals, but we noticed the lockout does not work correctly, and the shop acknowledged this too. They told her it was attributed to riding with the lockout engaged in too aggressive terrain, however, she has never riden with the lockout engaged. Ever.

Before the repair I know the lockout was working, as I was messing around with the fork .

About the post-repair lockout: after turning the lockout switch on, it does not lockout initially, but after compressing the fork 5-10 cycles the lockout engages roughly 30 cm into the compression, but never at the beginning of the compression.

Does this seem like a LBS repair issue or is this a true lockout fail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If they messed with the damper fluid, it could be an issue. It's been a while since I've worked on Fox's (big RS fan now), but if the damper is low on oil, the lockout won't function correctly.

mtbr member
    To rebuild that damper assembly it has to be taken completely apart anda ll the seals replaced. Then it has to be bled correctly which is a PITA I would take it back either it's low on fluid or it has some air in it.

I just did mine this weekend the lockout isn't working initially either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Does your fork have a FIT damper? You can tell if the rebound adjuster is on the bottom or top of the fork. If it has the open bath damper then it can take a several compressions before the the damper refills with oil and lockout starts working. Take it outside and bounce around on it for a while and see if it doesn't start working again.

Also, when was the last time the fork was serviced?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Does your fork have a FIT damper? You can tell if the rebound adjuster is on the bottom or top of the fork. If it has the open bath damper then it can take a several compressions before the the damper refills with oil and lockout starts working. Take it outside and bounce around on it for a while and see if it doesn't start working again.

Also, when was the last time the fork was serviced?

It does have the rebound adjust on the top and is an open bath system. I called fox and a service rep said there could be air in the damping system and recommended to turn the rebound to the lowest setting and take it through 40-60 compressions to remove all the air.

I did what she recommended and it did not change the issue.

The fork has never been serviced (i know, ~100 hours of riding for the damper sys). Seems that I should just service and rebuild the damper to fix the problem since it is more than due for some lovin'. Just curious why the lockout doesn't work after the seal replacement.

mtbr member
    You're lucky it's open bath i have the FIT cartridge and you have to bleed it for an hour and even then my lockout is hosed so I have to do it again. The FIT cartridge is a closed bath system so changing the seals won't affect it, however if you remove the lockout assembly on the top including the metal assembly then you have to rebleed it as air can get in.

See this diagram of the FIT damper:
    http://service.foxracingshox.com/con...4-174_RevA.pdf

It is the first part on the left "FIT Lockout Assembly" that is what the lockout lever turns for the FIT setup

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The symptoms really point toward not enough oil in the damper. Turn the rebound to the fastest setting and go bounce around on it for a while. Another possibility is the shop simply didn't put enough oil in it. With a Fox the lockout either works or it doesn't, and if it works but it weak then it allows the fork to slowly compress, which is not what you're seeing.

The open bath forks are easy to work on. I highly recommend you service the fork yourself. You'll be sure it's done right, and it's a lot cheaper in the long run as well.

Regarding service, with the Fox seals the oil needs to be changed every 30 hours of riding, not 100. Going longer than that degrades performance and risks damaging the fork.

mtbr member
    Another issue might be the lockout lever itself. If you take off the adjusters on the damper side, you'll notice the flats where the lockout holds on. You can turn that with an 8mm or your fingers. If you turn it clockwise with your fingers, it should screw into the cap. Screw it in until it locks out. If it doesn't get there (and you are close to burying those flats in the top cap) then there is a problem.

I have seen Fox forks set up with the range of adjustment from the lockout that simply doesn't allow the range of motion to engage the lockout. With the FIT damper, it's easy to figure out if everything works before you re-install the bled assembly. On the RL/C forks, you have to get the whole thing back together, pretty much.

If you aren't comfortable with my not-overly-specific directions, take it back and ask them to check it out.

For your sake, I'm hoping it's something simple like that.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    Another issue might be the lockout lever itself.
    If it were an issue with the lever then it wouldn't lock out after compressing 30cm.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for all the replies, amigos. badmech, I am going to take your advice and reservice/drain and add the correct volumes. It should be done this weekend, so I'll write how it went.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You were right, Bad mech. Dug into the issue lastnight and found there was only a few cc's of Fox Green 10W on the damper side. Hmmm. I wonder why it wasn't working. Easy fix. Filled to fox's chart volume and bounced it around with rebound in fastest. Lockout works.

Badmech, you've got a free beer if you come thru the Boise area.

Now the issue is: how big of deal would one make of this to the bike shop that failed to provide a complete service, and then blamed it on a "broken lockout" which would require up to $200 fix? I don't care about it much. Even after spending as much time researching the issue and fixing it, I learned something so it doesn't bother me much. However, it was my girlfriend's money and bike so I feel inclined to do or say something. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Tell your LBS what you found and how you corrected it. Their response at that point could decide if you continue to use there services or learn to do it yourself.
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Did you empty the damper before assembling and refilling?

Get your money back from the bike shop.