mtbr member
    Jan 2011

AFR shock spike valve

Just wondering would there be any benefit to taking out all, or part of the spike valve to reduce the blowing through the travel,
    Why I am asking is because I always seem to go through the travel when preloading or trying to boost of a lip,
    Or is it just bad technique ?

mtbr member
    I ride a hardtail, but i think any FS bike will do that if you don't have a lock-out on the rear shock.
    I do see fs riders use the sink in the rear to get a bit of spring when comming off a lip though.
    maybe a stiffer pre-load may help?

mtbr member
    Oh btw, thats one reason I ride a HT. I like a stiff rear-end lol!
    Did I type that out loud?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    HT loud and proud Bataivah,
    There's four compression settings on the shock the spike valve bypasses these on fast compression. More pressure in the air can does not seem to make that much difference.

mtbr member
    Seems like a shock with a lock-out is the way to go if you don't like the sinking you get comming
    off lips. And yea, I like my HT, when I got it in 08' I had to like it cuz it was 1/2 the price of the FS
    bike I wanted. Now I'm used to it I don't really need or want a FS anymore. If I had more $$ at the
    time I prolly would have gone the FS route. I also need to pull up alot on my trail and a HT does that
    alot better for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If you are hitting jumps or drops with a locked out rear shock you will destroy the shock quickly. The reason you don't see a lot of rear shocks with lockouts is because the seals can't handle that kind of load.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty F View Post
    If you are hitting jumps or drops with a locked out rear shock you will destroy the shock quickly. The reason you don't see a lot of rear shocks with lockouts is because the seals can't handle that kind of load.

Oh yea,daa, forgot all about that. Was going to add a FS to my collection down the road,
    but now I'm thinking it will be a HT 29'er or 650b and just stay HT and rigid lol

mtbr member
    I would think that a FS rider out there can give some info on how to
    set the rear shock so you can spring up off lips to get more air. I'm kinda surprised that more air
    pre-load does'nt help out in that respect. Normally more members are on to correct me and help
    but maybe they are all out riding like I should be doing lol!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Point taken matty, but it would not be locked out.
    May have to try a HT Bataivah see how I fair.
    Cheers