mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Advice on Suntour Raidon RLD Air Forks Please

GDay,

I have had my eye on the RockShox Recon Silver Coil forks as the replacement for the Pilot Air on my old GT, however I have also spotted this within a similar price bracket:

Suntour Raidon RLD Air Forks

I have researched these forks on the internet, however have not found that many reviews on how they perform.

What sparked my interest was that these were Air Forks Ė which means in theory, I should be able to adjust the psi to suit my weight/riding style a little better than the coil RockShox. They also appear to be a little lighter as well.

Does anyone have any feedback on how these shocks perform or Suntour shocks in general? Are these actually suited for XC (and not just marketed this way), or are they better suited for fluffing about around town?

As these will be shipped from CRC to Australia, I really dont want to end up with something that will need to be shipped back for warranty repairs as a result of buying a 'junker' if I can help it.

I currently ride a 2003 GT Avalanche with a handful of upgrades on things that have broken over the years (brakes, crank, pedals, wheels, etc). Ideally I donít want to spend more than the bikes worth on a new fork, which is why I am shopping around the $200 price bracket.

I ride 2 or 3 times per week, mostly XC trails that have steep rocky/hilly sections and technical descents with small fast paced drop offs. I would like something that is going to be able to keep up with my riding style, and not something suited for big dirt jumps, flat track or the likes.

Thanks in advance

Life Is Short
    SR Suntour is quality, I owned a Suntour Epicon 140mm fork and it was good. Kind of stiff feeling though, not as plush as other brands, but good. Suntour makes forks for Marzocchi, so they can't be bad. However you are thinking in your Aussie brain that you will be able to shed some weight, right mate? No. Suntours are weighty buggers. Good luck on your decision.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the reply. Good to hear some feedback from someone who has used a Suntour fork.

As for weight, I was comparing the Suntour RLD vs the Rockshox Recon Coil - not that its a big difference, or that weight would change my overall decision anyways.

Life Is Short
    Ok, I am only 150lbs (maybe on a day not eating junk food) so I prefer air forks myself. I have a Marzocchi 44 TST thats air and like the weight. Nothing wrong with having a Suntour either, they do make a $600 plus fork as well, and like I said they make Marz. forks so the tolerance for failure is low.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xc_ryd3r View Post
    GDay,

I have had my eye on the RockShox Recon Silver Coil forks as the replacement for the Pilot Air on my old GT, however I have also spotted this within a similar price bracket:
    What did you decide on?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am interested in this topic also. Which one is better?

OP,
    What did you end up getting?