mtbr member
    Jul 2014

advice on rear shocks

I don't want to open an old discussion on a "which is better" topic! I am looking to purchase either a FOX Float CTD Boost Valve Remote or a Cane Creek Double Barrel CS. I would like feedback from people who actually use / used one of these. Pros and cons, I guess. Mainly the difference between the lock out on the FOX vs. the ability to fine tune the CCDB CS, when it comes to climbing.

Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Unless the Fox is a bargain,.I can't imagine not going with the CC. My son rides a Banshee Rune w/CCDB/CS and crushes me on tech climbs every time. That was not true before the Cane Creek. Efficiency plus control is a winning combination.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for your 2 cents tyrebyter, not much difference in the price. The Fox is remote, that's a plus. However, the CC got some excellent reviews. What made me start thinking about CC was what their tech guy said (something like this, I can't remember the exact words): "after extensive testing we decided to add the CS, if a full lockout would have produced better results, we would have locked the shock out". I take it that your son doesn't get much pedal bob?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    What bike are you on? I had the CCDB Air CS on my Banshee Spitfire and was not a fan. It was highly tunable, but the complexity of the oil circuits gave me some compression spiking. I tried dialing out the HSC, but it didn't fully remedy the problem, and I wasn't happy with the feel when there was so little HSC. The Climb Switch works great though and is in my mind the absolute best climbing function offered on any shock today. I think it is widely held that the CCDB works best on bikes with very linear suspension rates, whereas the Spitfire is not linear, so you may have a different experience than I did.

Personally, I sold the CCDB, bought a CTD Factory shock for $200 used, had it gutted and custom tuned with new internals by Avalanche, and still pocketed $120 in profit from the whole swap. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but I am feeling really optimistic - the reviews of the Avalanche tunes are pretty incredible. Craig at Avalanche can also completely walk you through the advantages and disadvantages of the CCDB versus something else.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have a 2012 Opus Stakh 2. I don't know what you mean by "very linear suspension". Opus calls it a "virtual pivot". The shock sits just above the BB. I downloaded the dimensions for the CCDB from their website and now I don't think this would fit into my frame. Sent an email to OPUS to see if they could confirm. I will update on this as soon as they reply. Tomorrow I will also speak to the guys I bought my bike from, although I don't think they will be able to help me.

Name:  2012 stk2.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  2.5 KB

mtbr member
    Should check out the Rock Shock Monarch RL. Although I ride a Fox, I test rode a bike with a RS Monarch and came away extremely impressed

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Still waiting to hear back from Opus, but if the CC doesn't fit I think I will end up going with a Fox CTD X Float remote. It's a much smaller can. I am sure it will be a giant improvement over my current Rock Shox Ario R.