mtbr member

Advice Please: To Service Or To Ride? Talas 32 RL

Just got a used 2007 Fox Talas 32 RL fork.
    I did all the appropriate (at least I thought) checks before buying.
    -Travel adjuster works
    -Lockout works
    -Rebound seemed to work
    There's barely a scratch on the fork.
    After getting home, I downloaded the manual from the Fox website. Then discovered there should be only 12 clicks in the rebound knob.
    Mine turns infinitely.
    I called Push to get there opinion on what it could be and he seemed to know right away it's "a broken rebound adjust pin" and would require a rebuild and pin replacement $180 plus shipping.
    He also recommended I don't ride the fork as there are broken pieces in there that can damage other components.
    I spent pretty much all my extra cash on the fork in the first place so I'm screwed.

What do you guys think?
    Is it as big of a deal as Mr Push made it sound?
    Would you ride the fork if you were in my situation?
    Thanks in advance.

aka dan51
    The "clicking" is just a ball bearing going in and out of a groove/slot as the knob is turned.
    It may be perfectly fine, and the previous owner serviced the fork and took the rebound apart and lost that ball bearing. I've done it, and the fork was perfectly fine. or it could be a broken pice in there.
    Push guys know their stuff, but also don't want to recommend riding it just in case it is broken. If it blew up while riding you'd blame them.

My suggestion, download the service manual and take it apart yourself. It's not rocket science, and you'll learn how to do the basic maintenance.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Did you checkin with any LBS. Some are really good at rebuilding suspension. Push does a really good job, but they aren't cheap - in fact they are about 2x what my LBS charges. I'm not saying Push isn't worth it, I am saying sometimes you don't need to take it to that level...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Even if the ball bearing was gone, the rebound adjuster has hard stops. It wouldn't just keep spinning. Sorry, but it's broken. If you're feeling frisky, pull the damper apart yourself, find the broken part, and replace it. The RL open bath damper isn't that complicated if you're at all mechanically inclined.

Most bike shops (all the ones I know about) will only service your fork, they won't actually go into the damper.

aka dan51
    Good point. I had read it as infinite stops between the two hard stops, meaning no clicks. But if that knob turns and turns and never hits a hard stop it's busted.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.