mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Adjusting travel on 2001 Rock Shox Judy SL?

Anyone know if the travel is decreased (from 100mm to 80, or from 80mm to 65), does the spring rate also increase as a result?

Thanks!

Former Bike Wrench
    Changing travel does not load the springs at all, so the spring rate should remain the same. This may require more preload (or stiffer springs) in the shorter travel settings to maintain proper sag.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Right on...thanks!

I wish I could find some higher-rated springs now. Might be time to buy a new fork.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Changing travel does not load the springs at all, so the spring rate should remain the same. This may require more preload (or stiffer springs) in the shorter travel settings to maintain proper sag.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Do you know if there are any effective means of>

changing the spring rate, short of swapping out the springs? Or for that matter, if anything else made by Rock Shox might be compatible?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Even the lowest end shock that is new would be better

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Why? That '01 Judy SL weighs 3.5 lbs., has rebound adjustment and is pretty solid.

Great fork actually, unless you start comparing it to newer (and way more expensive) air-based systems, which still have their own downfalls.

Quote Originally Posted by dirthead451

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthead451

Not true at all, the 2001 Judy SL would easily be superior to the Dart series, including the 3. Its easily 1.5 lbs lighter, as tuneable, just as stiff laterally, and will be more durable (you won't see 8 year old Dart forks still around in 2017).

mtbr member

Not true at all, the 2001 Judy SL would easily be superior to the Dart series, including the 3. Its easily 1.5 lbs lighter, as tuneable, just as stiff laterally, and will be more durable (you won't see 8 year old Dart forks still around in 2017).
    Agreed. I sold my old bike with one that had a carbon "Shock Bonez" arch that was very laterally stiff; decent fork. He blew out the Englund Air Cartridges tho and now needs springs. Anyone know if White Bros. internals are still available or any other options he might have? Sorry for the thread jack but this might be a pertinent question.

Thanks,

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Former Bike Wrench
    Contact White Bros...they still have some stock of England, White Bros, and Speed Springs product