mtbr member

Adjusting Manitou Swinger 3 Way Shock

Forgive the newbie/obvious question... Just ordered a Fisher Cake 2 Dlx with a Manitou Swinger 3 Way rear shock. Everything I was looking for in a full suspension bike. My last MTB had no suspension.

I saw the Swinger is using Manitou's SPV technology, meaning to adjust it I must use a pump. Does Manitou supply one or is that (like everything in this sport) an optional accessory or can I use a standard floor pump?

Many Thanks...

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by pd417
    Forgive the newbie/obvious question... Just ordered a Fisher Cake 2 Dlx with a Manitou Swinger 3 Way rear shock. Everything I was looking for in a full suspension bike. My last MTB had no suspension.

I saw the Swinger is using Manitou's SPV technology, meaning to adjust it I must use a pump. Does Manitou supply one or is that (like everything in this sport) an optional accessory or can I use a standard floor pump?

Many Thanks...
    Just about 3 hours ago brought home a new Giant VT-1 and have been bugging the hell out of everyone on MTBR about full-suspension, adjustable travel forks, tubeless tires and questions concerning the Manitou Swinger 4 Way shock. Anyway, my bike came with the shock pump for the Swinger. It actually mentioned that it was included, in the specs at the Giant website. When I picked my bike up tonight, I had to remind them at the shop about giving me the pump before I left. They were cool about it and I honestly do not believe they were trying to keep it. Check Fishers website and ask the shop. I kind of got the impression that the shock pump is not normally supplied with other shocks, so some shop employees might not even know. You definately want that pump, because a floor pump will not have the precision to effectively supply the high pressure and small volume of air required.
    The Cake looks like an awesome ride.

Brian

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    some bike mfgs include the pump if it's an air shock.. some dont.. i'd call fisher and see what they say.
    no, a floor pump will NOT work, in fact it can mess up your shock if you use it on the spv pressure port. bring the bike to a shop, they shouldnt charge much (if anything) to help you with setting it up.

just read the manual on setting up the spv pressure.. then go from there. i leave my spv pressure down if i'm not going to be pedalling much, and up if i will. pretty simple.

rebound settings and chamber volume.. start in the middle and go from there. i'd get the chamber volume dialed in before i messed with the rebound though. chamber volume : if you want the suspension to be more progressive, less volume, and vice versa. then if the shock feels too springy, add rebound damping, and take damping away if the suspension feels sluggish.. everyone is different, and a fair bit of suspension tuning is adapting the bike to how you want it to feel, which only YOU really know, so keep that in mind when asking for help. oh.. and read the manual.. like 3 times.

mtbr member
    Just called Manitou, they said a shock pump is not included. Oh well....

Combat Wombat
    Just called Manitou, they said a shock pump is not included. Oh well....
    I am assuming that you ordered your bike through a dealer. If so, contact them and see if you can work some kind of deal on a new pump. At least make sure it is available for you to purchase when you pick up your bike, because it is a required accessory. I saw the exact pump today in a LBS that came with my Giant and it was $30. Every new bike that I have bought, the shop always gave me a great deal on anything extra that I purchased along with the bike. Good Luck.

Brian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    I am assuming that you ordered your bike through a dealer. If so, contact them and see if you can work some kind of deal on a new pump... Every new bike that I have bought, the shop always gave me a great deal on anything extra that I purchased along with the bike.

Right after I posted my last message, my LBS called and said my bike was in and ready. It's a 30 mile drive in rush hour traffic, but it was definately worth it. I asked about a shock pump, first he quoted me a price, then he just gave it to me. Saved me $30 bucks. It's little things like that make me come back.

mtbr member
    That's cool. The money he made on the sale of the bike should offset the cost of giving the pump away and making a loyal customer at the same time. I don't like greedy companies that just look at the bottom line and charge you for every penny of parts they use, not realizing that keeping loyal customers makes more money for them in the long run.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    BrianU,

I just built up a VT-1 frame and I am still tweaking the shock settings. With a Marzocchi fr sl air fork up front my bike is a setup nightmare now compared to all my previous bikes.

Anyway, my weight is roughly the same as yours so I'm curious what settings you are using on the swinger?

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLink
    BrianU,

I just built up a VT-1 frame and I am still tweaking the shock settings. With a Marzocchi fr sl air fork up front my bike is a setup nightmare now compared to all my previous bikes.

Anyway, my weight is roughly the same as yours so I'm curious what settings you are using on the swinger?
    With the bike's rear suspension set up for 5", I run 130 pounds in the main chamber and 90 pounds in the SPV chamber. I run the SPV compression rate adjust turned all the way out. This puts my sag right at the 25% mark and although I have not bottomed out the shock yet, I get very close to full travel. This seems to match up pretty good with my Rockshox Psylo setting, which I run at about 110mm.
    I have tried the longer travel settings and did not like the way it changed the bikes handling. It also made the bike feel too cushy for my liking. I rarely do any kind of drops and what drops I do, are not more than a couple feet. The same goes for jumps, I am not into getting big air.
    To me, while seated and pedaling, it feels like a hardtail with a high volume rear tire that is aired up soft. I am constantly amazed at how this thing climbs. On steep, sketchy climbs that require you to stay seated and using the granny gear, I can outclimb any hardtail I have ever owned. At the same time, it floats over anything that I would normally ride over while seated.
    I wanted a bike for riding the same trails that I would normally ride my hardtail on, but without the pounding my body takes on some of the local trails. With the above settings, it does this very well.

Hope this helps. When I initially asked for advise about setting my 4-way, I quickly found that there is no exact setting. Ask twenty people and you will get twenty different answers. I started with the recommended factory settings and then used alot of trial and error adjustments.
    Brian

mtbr member

Many Thanks...
    You can not use a floor pump. I believe some manufactures include a pump with their bikes. Talk to your LBS or GF and see if one is included. Your LBS might even throw one in. I just bought a 04 Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0 (Minute 2 and Swinger 4-way) and it did not include a pump. I purchased the Performance Hurricane shock pump ($15.00 if you are a member, $30 if not.). The pump works great. It has a little bleed off valve that prevents any air from escaping from the fork or shock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks Brian for you swinger setup settings. They seem to be pretty close to what I came up with during my initial setup. I still need to get a couple rides in to see if anything needs adjusted further.

LA CHÈVRE

It comes with it

My Cake came with a pump, supplied by Gary Fisher.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slomoking
    You can not use a floor pump. I believe some manufactures include a pump with their bikes. Talk to your LBS or GF and see if one is included. Your LBS might even throw one in. I just bought a 04 Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0 (Minute 2 and Swinger 4-way) and it did not include a pump. I purchased the Performance Hurricane shock pump ($15.00 if you are a member, $30 if not.). The pump works great. It has a little bleed off valve that prevents any air from escaping from the fork or shock.
    I bought the hurricane shock pump and it simply made whoosing noises when I tried to pump air into my 5th element. Performance is willing to refund or exchange. No problems with yours yet?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by abscar
    I bought the hurricane shock pump and it simply made whoosing noises when I tried to pump air into my 5th element. Performance is willing to refund or exchange. No problems with yours yet?

Is the bleeder/stem depressor backed off too far? That would allow the air to by-pass the valve, just a possibility. When you screw the hose onto the valve, watch for the gage to move, if it doesn't then the stem depressor is backed out.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Torque
    Is the bleeder/stem depressor backed off too far? That would allow the air to by-pass the valve, just a possibility. When you screw the hose onto the valve, watch for the gage to move, if it doesn't then the stem depressor is backed out.
    I screwed it in tightly. Performance is replacing the pump. Thanks for the info.