Results 1 to 50 of 50
  1. #1
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111

    Adjustable ride height Monarch

    I took some time out yesterday to make a little gimmick for my Monarch.

    I wanted to be able to adjust the ride height, and didn't feel like having yet another cable to maintain.
    I made it electrical instead, which actually turned out lighter than making it cable pull style.
    I calculated the power consumption to allow for approximately 3 months of frequent use, on a pair of AAA cells. With LiPo that allows for a very small cell.

    Anyhow, it seems to work well.


    Magura

  2. #2
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,938
    dang ya should go into business making custom parts
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    http://thewoodgallery.blogspot.ca/

  3. #3
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,841
    I feel like half the things I enjoy on this website come from you. Well done.

    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

  4. #4
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    dang ya should go into business making custom parts
    I already am, just for the medical industry


    Magura

  5. #5
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    I already am, just for the medical industry


    Magura
    me thinks it is time to expand or deversify your self
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    http://thewoodgallery.blogspot.ca/

  6. #6
    Save Jesus
    Reputation: beanbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,731
    how does it work?

  7. #7
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,690
    Yes, please elaborate on how it works.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,200
    Dropper post, want


    Coo!

  9. #9
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Dropper post, want


    Coo!
    And that's in fact exactly how this toy is gonna end up, built into a frame as a dropper post

    It seems though that I may make another one for my FS.


    Magura

  10. #10
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    how does it work?
    With an electric valve, allowing to move air from one side of the air piston to the other.
    It's real simple in fact.


    Magura

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    I already am, just for the medical industry


    Magura


    Lookin good, Maggie. It's starting to look like a cross between the new "Autosag" Fox shock and the Fox iCD system.

    hehe

    -S

  12. #12
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post


    Lookin good, Maggie. It's starting to look like a cross between the new "Autosag" Fox shock and the Fox iCD system.

    hehe

    -S
    Well, my point in this, was rather to be able to lower and stiffen up the rear for climbing and gravel roads, as opposed to Fox just stiffening up the rear, but still leaving the rider hanging 100mm too high to be ideal for the situation.
    I think I will attempt something similar for my Revelation. It could be rather neat to lower the bike like 100mm in both ends.

    This mod is relatively simple to do on the Monarch, but I still haven't figured the solution for the Revelation.


    Magura

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    And that's in fact exactly how this toy is gonna end up, built into a frame as a dropper post

    It seems though that I may make another one for my FS.


    Magura
    Pics of it mounted up w/ power supply?

    About travel adjust on the fork, have you look at how Kowa is doing this w/ their fork? From what I read, it's very simple and may work well w/ an electric switch like you've got going on the Monarch.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  14. #14
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Pics of it mounted up w/ power supply?

    About travel adjust on the fork, have you look at how Kowa is doing this w/ their fork? From what I read, it's very simple and may work well w/ an electric switch like you've got going on the Monarch.
    Currently the power supply is of no interest, as it's just two AAA rechargeable batteries.
    I have ordered LiPo cells today though.

    Do you have a link to the Kowa system? I don't think I've ever stumbled on it.


    Magura

    EDIT: I just found the Kowa solution you told about. It is along the lines of what I'm on about. Making it work with an electric valve, is a bit more complicated than it seems, due to space constraints. As I recall, the Revelation is 28mm internal upper leg diameter.
    Last edited by Mr.Magura; 01-07-2013 at 08:58 AM.

  15. #15
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    I kinda expected this topic to be a good base for some collective brain storming, and helping some of you guys doing a bit of DIY?

    Loads of people seem to take a look at this thread, to just wander off?
    Does it look too complicated (it's not)?
    Or just general lack of interest in something like this?


    Magura

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,973
    I find it interesting and applaud your creativeness. Would like to see you apply this to a dropper post
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  17. #17
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Would like to see you apply this to a dropper post
    Making this work for a dropper post, would be fairly simple.
    The bad news is, that I have no need for a dropper post, as I will use the Monarch for that duty
    It could be a future project though, if none of the big boys get it sorted soon, and make something that actually works.

    Magura

  18. #18
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,841
    After sending it in twice, RS sent me out a Monarch RT3. Now I have a Monarch R sitting in a box. Tastefully, the RT3 also leaks-just not as aggressively. Things to do with my Monarch R-I wonder.

  19. #19
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    After sending it in twice, RS sent me out a Monarch RT3. Now I have a Monarch R sitting in a box. Tastefully, the RT3 also leaks-just not as aggressively. Things to do with my Monarch R-I wonder.
    It would be a good candidate.

    If there is enough interest, I'm sure we could talk a machine shop into making the machined parts. Fitting them to the shock is pretty much kitchen table work.


    Magura

  20. #20
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,841
    Playing the guinea pig could be fun, what do you propose?

  21. #21
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Playing the guinea pig could be fun, what do you propose?
    Let's give it a couple of days, and see if there's enough interest.
    If so, I'll make a back o' napkin for this, and see if I can make somebody make a few kits.


    Magura

  22. #22
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,841
    I'll stay posted then, it's wasting space for now.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    And that's in fact exactly how this toy is gonna end up, built into a frame as a dropper post

    It seems though that I may make another one for my FS.


    Magura

    Dropper Electro-clamp/frame integration you say..hmm internal wiring?



    DYAD shock vs Mr. Magura switched monarch...

    Electro-Monarch ftw (smaller, prob has awesome blow-off sound plus EASY to service push style)

  24. #24
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Dropper Electro-clamp/frame integration you say..hmm internal wiring?



    DYAD shock vs Mr. Magura switched monarch...

    Electro-Monarch ftw (smaller, prob has awesome blow-off sound plus EASY to service push style)
    In my case, semi internal wiring, but for a couple of small wires, you're pretty much free to do anything.

    .....and yes, it sounds like a waste gate blow-off


    Magura

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,200
    ...rolling hills- hammer hammer, PSSS bomb dh hub spools up PSHH LOL

  26. #26
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,841
    I hope other people have extra Monarch shocks sitting around.

  27. #27
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I hope other people have extra Monarch shocks sitting around.
    These guys seem to:

    Rock Shox Monarch 4.2 - No Hardware 2010 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com


    Magura

  28. #28
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,841
    Ones that don't cost money, that is.

  29. #29
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Well, worst case, it can easily be reversed, so no big deal to do it to a shock in use.


    Magura

  30. #30
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,841
    Of course, but in my case I have an extra I'd be willing to sacrifice for worthy experiments.

  31. #31
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    I just ordered parts for the next step.
    I want preset ride heights, and I want them adjustable, so this is going to be electronics.
    I figured to have a couple of adjustable presets would do.

    What do you think about that?


    Magura

  32. #32
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,093
    Mr. Magura,

    What is the purpose of compressing the shock? This would decrease seat angle and decrease head angle, thinks that do not improve climbing comfort and performance.

  33. #33
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    Mr. Magura,

    What is the purpose of compressing the shock? This would decrease seat angle and decrease head angle, thinks that do not improve climbing comfort and performance.
    A lower center of gravity would be one reason.
    Another reason is for situations where 160mm travel is not doing any good, like gravel roads and smooth single track, hard pedaling, etc.
    Sprinting could also be improved (not that I do that kind of stuff).


    Magura

  34. #34
    Save Jesus
    Reputation: beanbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    With an electric valve, allowing to move air from one side of the air piston to the other.
    By moving air out of the positive chamber, won't that make the spring rate too soft in the "lowered" position? Perhaps you could move oil instead?

  35. #35
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    By moving air out of the positive chamber, won't that make the spring rate too soft in the "lowered" position? Perhaps you could move oil instead?
    That depends how it's controlled.

    How do you suggest to do it with oil?


    Magura

  36. #36
    Save Jesus
    Reputation: beanbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,731
    Oil would flow into the negative chamber, and with the small amount of air still in there, would provide a soft hydrolock that limits extension - same as if the shock were shorter in the first place. You could also have a floating piston between the + air and this oil volume, depending on if you wanted the + side to get softer anyway.

  37. #37
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Well, my point in this, was rather to be able to lower and stiffen up the rear for climbing and gravel roads, as opposed to Fox just stiffening up the rear, but still leaving the rider hanging 100mm too high to be ideal for the situation.
    I think I will attempt something similar for my Revelation. It could be rather neat to lower the bike like 100mm in both ends.

    This mod is relatively simple to do on the Monarch, but I still haven't figured the solution for the Revelation.


    Magura
    Is the revelation Single or Dual Air?

    If its dual air, I think it is an easy mod. I should try this....

    -S

  38. #38
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Don't quite like those 2010's, especially the air inlet... feels like it's going to break off any time. LOL.

    -S

  39. #39
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Is the revelation Single or Dual Air?

    If its dual air, I think it is an easy mod. I should try this....

    -S
    It's dual air, but I can't seem to find room for the valve.


    Magura

  40. #40
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    Oil would flow into the negative chamber, and with the small amount of air still in there, would provide a soft hydrolock that limits extension - same as if the shock were shorter in the first place. You could also have a floating piston between the + air and this oil volume, depending on if you wanted the + side to get softer anyway.
    Hmm, that's worth some thought if it turns out to be an issue. It will make the system a lot more complicated though, and add like 80 grams to it.


    Magura

  41. #41
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    It's dual air, but I can't seem to find room for the valve.


    Magura
    Probably needs to go on top, at the crown where the current schrader valve is.

    -S

  42. #42
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    By moving air out of the positive chamber, won't that make the spring rate too soft in the "lowered" position? Perhaps you could move oil instead?
    Maybe its a good thing.... a pushbutton "plush" setting too.

    -S

  43. #43
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Probably needs to go on top, at the crown where the current schrader valve is.

    -S
    ....and that my friend, is where trouble starts

    It needs to cross the piston somehow, which is not happening from the outside, as far as I am able to figure it right now.


    Magura

  44. #44
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Maybe its a good thing.... a pushbutton "plush" setting too.

    -S
    It depends how it's operated. If it's loaded during the shift, and the flow is cut off fast enough by the valve, things are not changing much.
    The valve I used is extremely fast, so I just need to make sure the electronics behind don't slow things down, which means using fast sensors.

    Magura

  45. #45
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    ....and that my friend, is where trouble starts

    It needs to cross the piston somehow, which is not happening from the outside, as far as I am able to figure it right now.


    Magura
    Why not? Run a long poly hose from the bottom schrader to the top valve assembly...

    It'll definitely cross the piston and "connect" the bypass between the two air chambers... or am I missing something?

    -S

  46. #46
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    am I missing something?

    -S
    You might be on to something. If there is room in the piston for it, it could fly.

    The top cap will need some nifty solution though for this, but that's a minor detail.
    Another thing that needs to be tested, is if the magnet for the switch, can activate the switch through both the inner and outer leg. Else the electronic control is going to be hard to sort.


    Magura

  47. #47
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    You might be on to something. If there is room in the piston for it, it could fly.

    The top cap will need some nifty solution though for this, but that's a minor detail.
    Another thing that needs to be tested, is if the magnet for the switch, can activate the switch through both the inner and outer leg. Else the electronic control is going to be hard to sort.


    Magura
    Don't even need to go into the air spring or muck with the piston ... just bridge the two chambers with the bypass and put the electronic valve in-line with the bypass tube.

    At some point I'd be looking into modding the damper to use magnetorheological fluids...

    -S

  48. #48
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Don't even need to go into the air spring or muck with the piston ... just bridge the two chambers with the bypass and put the electronic valve in-line with the bypass tube.

    At some point I'd be looking into modding the damper to use magnetorheological fluids...

    -S
    I'm not sure I follow your train of thought here??

    Magnetorheological fluids have been on my ToDo list for a while.
    Trouble is the power consumption.....
    I have some future plan to test high frequency pulsed PSU's in that application.
    By now there are some pretty advanced, high efficiency, LED driver chips out there from Onsemi, that seems to fit the bill.


    Magura

  49. #49
    Save Jesus
    Reputation: beanbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post

    Magnetorheological fluids have been on my ToDo list for a while.
    Trouble is the power consumption.....
    And the weight
    And the abrasion
    And the lousy damping characteristics
    And getting sued by the Lord Corporation

    Not that that's a dis-incentive or anything...

  50. #50
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    And the weight
    And the abrasion
    And the lousy damping characteristics
    And getting sued by the Lord Corporation

    Not that that's a dis-incentive or anything...
    I guess you got a point


    Magura

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •