Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Adjustable Fork Length Question

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  bad mechanic 
#1 ·
Can anyone please explain to me why Fox, Rockshox, and now X-Fusion as well, have decided on these preset lengths regardless of what frame makers design their frames for? I am specifically referring to the 110mm to 140mm TALAS, Dual Position Air, and now DLA (Down Low Adjustment) for 26'' and 29ers, and the 95mm to 120mm TALAS 29er fork. The 120 to 150 or 160mm option for a 26er does make sense to me.

Here is why: No frame builder that I know of designs their bikes around a 95mm or 110mm fork and if I put an adjustable length travel fork on my bike I want the low setting to be spot on for the way the bike was meant to handle. Travel adjustments from 100mm to 120mm and 120mm to 140mm make so much more sense to me. Truth this gives up some adjustment, but I for one could live with that. As it stands there is not one of these options that I'd even consider, because it just seems like a gimmick.

#2 ·
Dual position forks are not designed specifically as "adjustable travel" froks in the way that we've come to define adjustable travel. Yes the travel is adjustable, but only between two settings. These settings could be described as "Normal" and "Climbing". And that's what they are intended for. Set the fork to the low travel setting for climbs, and "full travel" for everything else. Many riders on longer travel bikes do prefer to lower the front end for climbing. The fully adjustable systems like the RS Utrun were slow and cumbersome to do this with. You had to stop and turn a knob numerous times to decrease the travel. In answer to this Rock Shox, Fox, and Xfusion, etc., offer forks that drop the fork length by 20mm to 30mm with the flick of a switch. Much less fuss.

The bottom line is, a dual position fork is designed to be used at full travel, and dropped to reduced travel only when climbing. You purchase the fork based on full travel and what the bike is designed for, not the reduced travel setting. That's why you see some of the odd ball low travel settings on the dual position forks.

I can see perhaps wanting to run a fork a 100mm (due to geometry design) most of the time, and then popping it up to 120 or 130 for descents. But that simply isn't the focus on DP forks. So you likely won't find lower travel settings on DP forks that will exactly match the design geometry of a given bike. The forks simply aren't designed that way.

Good Dirt

#3 ·
I had forgot the whole intention of climb or descend; and had not even considered the longer setting as the normal length.
If I were using it the way I would want it, TALAS travel setting would be used by which trail I'm on that day. I, for one, am not one to jack with my shock or fork while in the middle of a ride unless it is to lock or unlock the fork, or throw the Propedal lever.

To me a TALAS 29 that could be set to 120mm or 140mm is desirable for several of the bikes I am currently deciding between. Example the Turner Sultan says it designed for a fork travel of 120 to 140mm.

#6 ·
What's wrong with monkeying with your fork mid-ride?
Between the travel adjust and the various platform options, I'm always changing how my Wotan rides depending on the specific trail or segment I'm riding...
some trails don't need 160mm, are more fun at 120mm!
if you've got the technology to dial part of your suspension for a specific segment, why not?

Membrain: Running 10mm over the reccomended travel isn't something that I've ever worried too much about, and if I did, I'd simply set the sag a little lower and get my plush on.
I don't know about your specific fork, but afaik the RS offerings are tweakable for changed travel

#8 ·
I have owned quite a few travel adjustable forks. My old Marzocchi Z1 fork's had ECC and ETA. ETA allowed for a dropped travel (climbing mode) that would still move under impacts. Sounded great but I used different muscle groups w/ the front dropped so it didn't seem any easier to climb. My next fork was a Rockshox Pike w/ U-turn travel adjust. I already knew I wasn't going to use u-turn as a climbing tool but I was looking to determine what travel my new frame felt best suited. I find some frame manufactures give a range of fork travel and u-turn or spacer type forks give the option to adjust w/ only one fork purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.