mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Adding a remote to a Fox CTD shock

I just picked up a frame that comes with a Fox Float CTD Evolution Rear Shock. I see that Fox offers a remote for the CTD function. It looks like my fork does not have the connection for the remote, but could I add it? I've looked all over the internet and I'm not finding anything close to a solid answer.

I'm guessing it's not possible, but I thought I'd ask.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I asked the same question and someone on here said no. Don't know why they wouldn't make this possible. I would definitely pay to upgrade it. Kinda sucks actually.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just asked at a Trek Dealer to put a remote on my Fuel EX7 and its only possible in the FOX FORK and in the REAR SHOX that already have the connections from factory.

Sent from my iPhone

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That's kinda what I thought.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Have you tried calling Fox directly? Im sure someone in their tech or sales dept could help you with the answer. I do know that the little blue selector switch is removable so it may be possible to get the piece needed for converting it. I think its worth a shot at calling if its something you really want to do. Food for thought.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kbjohnson7 View Post
    Have you tried calling Fox directly? Im sure someone in their tech or sales dept could help you with the answer. I do know that the little blue selector switch is removable so it may be possible to get the piece needed for converting it. I think its worth a shot at calling if its something you really want to do. Food for thought.
    Picking up the phone and making a personal one on one connection with a live person...I don't understand

I'll give them a shout on Monday, after the holiday.

T.W.O.
    First of all you can only do so much with remote, mostly lock out. RS has one that you can adj compression, and lock out, Magura has one that adj travel which is pretty simple actually. Except for Magura none has work properly for me in the long run. I don't think it's worth the trouble.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There is a conversion kit for front CTD shocks, but not for a rear shock unfortunately.

My post count is too low to post a link, but maybe this will get through

service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/QuickTech/CTD_Remote_conversion_proc.htm
    Last edited by NevB; 11-24-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Ballstein Models
    Fox sells a remote kit. If you've got a 2013 CTD trail adjust Float I'd be interested in talking. I have a 2013 CTD remote that I'd like to convert away from the remote.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Does anyone knows if this 2013 CTD remote will work on a 2012 Fox EVO 32 with CTD?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPad

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hogprint View Post
    Fox sells a remote kit. If you've got a 2013 CTD trail adjust Float I'd be interested in talking. I have a 2013 CTD remote that I'd like to convert away from the remote.
    I'll get the model number when my frame arrives on Monday. I'll keep you posted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogprint View Post
    Does the remote spring back on it's own or does the lever have the return spring in it. I took out the blue knob and may make my own. I want to use the old style remote lever as I only want to switch between Climb and Trail...will never use the descend. I have a machine shop available so I think it will be easy to do. Drawing up plans tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Obviously there is no original conversion kit for rear shocks:
    mojostore.co.uk/acatalog/CTD-Remote-Kit.html

But maybe you can find some homebrewed solution like this one:
    youtube.com/watch?v=KL30jdx2gsc

I wanna try one such in this video but a bit nicer on my Float CTD Evo

mtbr member
    FWIW, I just got my Fox CTD Evolution back from Fox. They were able to swap out the top cap on the shock to fit a remote topcap on and supplied me with the dual remote which has all of the parts to convert the fork. I had a few other things done, but my total was $290- The remote kit alone (with parts for the fork) is $80 (not bad, really), and I think I had about $80-90 of other work done... so $200 and it CAN be done.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    FWIW, I just got my Fox CTD Evolution back from Fox. They were able to swap out the top cap on the shock to fit a remote topcap on and supplied me with the dual remote which has all of the parts to convert the fork. I had a few other things done, but my total was $290- The remote kit alone (with parts for the fork) is $80 (not bad, really), and I think I had about $80-90 of other work done... so $200 and it CAN be done.
    Hmmm. This is annoying. I didn't realize the rear shocks cannot be converted unless they are a certain shock. I also didn't realize that there is the Evolution/Performance and then the Factory with the three trail settings.

Did you inquire whether they could have also added the 3 Factory trail settings to your Evolution fork?

My Giant AX1 29'er came with an Evolution CTD rear shock. Is this shock tuned to my frame? If I wanted to upgrade to the Factory CTD remote shock is there a version that is tuned for my frame?
    Last edited by morkys; 03-07-2013 at 11:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Best thing to do is call Fox and try to talk to Ed in service. He's the service manager and runs the show. Great guy to deal with.

Here's my understanding:
    1. Yes, your shock is tuned to your bike- meaning that Giant asked for the Compression to be tuned a certain way, and the Climb mode to be tuned a certain way. If you look at the bottom of your shock, there should be a sticker band around the bottom and it should say Compression tuned F, M or S (Firm, Medium, Soft) and the same thing for Climb. My Climb mode on a 2013 Stumpjumper FSR came Medium, but I had it changed to Firm as it still had too much bob in "Climb" mode (for me).
    2. My understanding of the 3 factory trail settings is that, yes, they could've changed that, however, when you put a remote on the shock, you lose that anyway (even if you had a "Factory" level shock).

Hope that helps.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    Best thing to do is call Fox and try to talk to Ed in service. He's the service manager and runs the show. Great guy to deal with.

Here's my understanding:
    1. Yes, your shock is tuned to your bike- meaning that Giant asked for the Compression to be tuned a certain way, and the Climb mode to be tuned a certain way. If you look at the bottom of your shock, there should be a sticker band around the bottom and it should say Compression tuned F, M or S (Firm, Medium, Soft) and the same thing for Climb. My Climb mode on a 2013 Stumpjumper FSR came Medium, but I had it changed to Firm as it still had too much bob in "Climb" mode (for me).
    2. My understanding of the 3 factory trail settings is that, yes, they could've changed that, however, when you put a remote on the shock, you lose that anyway (even if you had a "Factory" level shock).

Hope that helps.
    Cool, fair enough. Thanks for the excellent feedback. I am the most pissed about the rear shock. The fact that you can't even modify it to allow for a remote is un-acceptable. That is engineered exclusion and ridiculous. I guess I am used to having the higher end RP 23 and RLC 32 on my previous bike. I also miss the lockout adjustment on the RLC 32 fork and the compression dampening adjustment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Pure curiosity, I wonder... if you are able to convert the Evo CTD to remote, can you convert it to Trail Adjust? May not be worth it to pay Fox to do it, but I just wonder if it's physically possible to do to an EVO CTD fork. Since you can't change the non remote Evolution shock to remote, I bet it's not possible to add the 3 Trail Adjust knob to the Evolution shock either, but perhaps I'll ask about that too.

EDIT. I asked and Fox answered. You cannot add Trail adjust to the fork or shock. Different dampers.

I hadn't noticed this, but for 6.5" shocks, like the one for my Giant AX1 29, the only difference between the Evolution and the Factory CTD shocks is the Kashima coating and the fact that you can get a remote version. There is no 6.5" version with the 3 settings of Trail adjust.
    Last edited by morkys; 03-13-2013 at 07:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    This is kind of old, but I was just looking up the information on this and called Fox. You can order the remote, and it is 100 dollars, and supposedly a very easy install.
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    They can be converted to a remote, but you need to replace the entire eyelet assembly, and buy the remote. It will require bleeding and recharging your shock. I have done a couple of them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusSommers View Post
    They can be converted to a remote, but you need to replace the entire eyelet assembly, and buy the remote. It will require bleeding and recharging your shock. I have done a couple of them.
    Just talked to Fox on the phone. Current price is US$250. Your shock will be returned with a remote cable attached. You need to specify whether you want the single (rear only) or dual (front/rear) cable. Same price either way. About 1 week turnaround.