mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Adding oil to the air chamber on fox 32 to increase progression: who has done this?

I have a '13 Fox 32 FIT CTD and it's pretty wallowy in descend mode. I have heard about adding Float fluid to the air chamber in 5cc increments to firm up the second half of the stroke. Is it really as easy as it sounds? what kind of improvements have people had with what volume of oil? I've got a 5cc pillow pack of oil I was going to squirt in there, but I thought I should learn a little before I went messing around with how my fork works.

mtbr member
    Some Floats will add oil to the air chamber on their own if you don't stay on top of the service intervals.

You may want to open up that air chamber and see what's in their currently.

Best to know the baseline before you start adding oil.

Add too much and you'll reduce travel.

Adding a few CCs of Float Fluid/Oil to the air chamber won't do a whole lot for that fork in the Descend mode.

It's easy to add oil to the air chamber, but it's not really a fix for the "wallowing" that you are describing.

Do you ride the fork in the Trail mode?

The CTD adjustments are basically low speed compression adjustments.

If it's brake dive, diving in g-outs, body motion induced diving that you are trying to tune out, the Trail mode can help.

If you prefer to ride in the Descend mode most of the time, try experimenting with PSI. You should notice a difference from adding just a bit of air.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah, I don't usually use the descend mode, but mostly because if I do, I blow through all my travel too easy and feel like I'm going to get pitched over the bars in steep rocky stuff. I've heard of a lot of people really improving their forks performance by adding some oil and running lower PSIs, which also seems to help with small bump sensitivity.

mtbr member
    CTD= Can't Tune Descent

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    More oil in the air chamber and lower PSI will give you small bump sensitity without harsh bottom out, but amplify the wallowing. I had same fork, used to run it in the Descend mode all the time, with low PSI and extra 10cc of Float Fluid in air chamber because I wanted very plush ride. It was great for riding the rooty singletracks, but the brake dive and cornering were really bad. I understood it when I replaced the Fox with Manitou Tower Pro. I haven't started tuning the Tower yet, but it feels much better already.

If you want to reduce the wallowing you must increase the PSI. And then you don't want extra oil in the air chamber because you are then unable to compress the fork completely and you will loose the travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I think 'wallowing' might be the wrong term. What I am experiencing is more like brake dive and lack of support in mid-stroke. I guess I am trying to do something that will act like increased low speed compression damping. I understand that too much oil will cause the fork not to use all of its travel, but a small amount, like an extra 5cc in a 150mm fork should not cause that. It should ramp up the progression a little, which should, in theory, give more support.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm afraid it does not help. The extra oil will effectively affect only the very end of stroke, eliminating the harsh bottom out. But the effect on the mid-stroke is minimal. 2013 CTD dampers have weak mid-stroke support. I've read that it is possible to upgrade to 2014 damper which is more supportive. I myself switched to Tower - I can service and tune it myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Send it back into Fox and ask them to upgrade it to the 2014 damper tune. They charge almost nothing to do it ($60 including fluid change), and it makes a significant difference. The 2014 tune is much better for me, and I am really happy I sent mine in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The fox upgrade program still on ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
    I have a '13 Fox 32 FIT CTD and it's pretty wallowy in descend mode. I have heard about adding Float fluid to the air chamber in 5cc increments to firm up the second half of the stroke. Is it really as easy as it sounds? what kind of improvements have people had with what volume of oil? I've got a 5cc pillow pack of oil I was going to squirt in there, but I thought I should learn a little before I went messing around with how my fork works.
    I presume it's not a trail adjust and trail is too firm for you?
    I've got a 2013 32 150 trail adjust. I run 15ml oil in the air chamber so I can keep the air pressure down to 75-80 psi[160 lb net rider weight]. I ride in trail 1 mode all the time and it's perfect for my 160 lb weight. It has great support but's blows through smoothly on big hits. I like to think descend mode os more a mode for riding trail chunder at speed. if your hitting anything big or technical descending then Trail mode is the one. I don't worry about small bump compliance. It's a 150mm fork. it's not a bike packing fork.
    Your going to have to change the crtridge to atrail adjust if you want the best out of the fork . Anything less is just a huge compromise.
    If trail is too firm change to a lighter weight fluid in the catridge and run in trail mode all the time or alternatively a heavier weight fluid if you wnat to beef up the compression in descend mode.
    You can get 2012 RLC cartridges on Ebay. Always another option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It is a trail adjust And I do use it in trail mode almost all the time, It just seems like a waste to have a 'feature' that is basically unusable. It is still pretty new so I am still trying to get it dialed in, but I still think I should try adding the 5cc of oil if just for the extra progression.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just think of it as another setting not necessarily a feature you are missing out on. Very much depends on your terrain as to whether it's needed.
    Your on the right track. I'd add 5ml at a time until you get what you want. If your running high air pressure then you will be able to drop it. i've dropped from 85 to 75 by adding an extra 10ml. i can still bottom the fork in the right conditions so i will probably end up adding another 5ml as the fork breaks in more. Be warned just 5ml at atime though. It is noticeable . i take a little medicine measuring container with me so i can remove some if need be.There will be a point where they become to progressive and you loose to much mid range support.I think at least another 10 ml of oil is reqd unless you are avery light rider, For my weight I like my forks to ride in that 65 to 75 psi zone which is a good compromise between linear support and progressive bottomless feel and plush stroke.
    It could take a couple of rides to dial it in. I find i have to do the same process for any fork I buy, very rarely are they spot on for your weight. at least they are linear enough these days so you only have to add oil not cut the air piston rod.

In comparison to previous generations I find there is stll plenty of mid stroke support in descent mode. It just bottoms easy due to the linear nature of the air spring. i find very little difference in bar feed back on the haevy stuff using traill 1 compared to descent so i use the extra support of the trail 1. Do some back to back tests yourself.The bike does feel quicker over trail chunder in descent mode. i like to think of it as a 29er mode rather than a descending setting.

The best way to set up the air pressure and volume is do some mild runs over a g out and push down hard on the bars. This willl isolate most of the high speed compression damping so you are dealing mostly with just the air spring compression curve. This wil be the easiest method of bottoming your forks. Add air until you don't bottom out. Now go for a high speed run over rough terrain. if it feels choppy then add some oil to the air chamber and drop your pressure. Repeat both runs adjusting volume and pressure until you gert the best compromise. While your doing it add some trail as another variable. You should find trail does add a bit of bottom out resistance as well as low speed support but adds very little extra bar feedback at speed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This is great advice. Thanks. This sounds like exactly what I should do. Just one question. I should work out the best PSI/oil through a G-out in descend mode to just where I can't get it to bottom out then see how it feels in Trail mode?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Try both but If you feel you would like to ride mostly in descent then use descent. You should use slightly less travel in trail mode as it does have some effect on overall compression curve.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    My 2013 CTD was crap out of the gate. I tried the oil top off and it was still crap. I sent it into fox under warranty and they upgraded it to the 2014. Its not great still but its light years better than it was. I wish I could adjust the individual settings.
    2010 D440 Redline Rigid 1x9
    2011 Trek Remedy 8 1x10
    2012 Jamis Dragon 2x10
    2013 Diamondback Sortie 3 1x10