mtbr member
    May 2012

Adapter to fit 20mm fork to 9mm rim?

From the title you'll notice I'm a cycling beginner, so please bear with me.

I recently purchased a Marzocchi Bomber Z.3 QR20 with 100mm travel.
    Unfortunately, I didn't know what "20mm" meant until I took it to the shop and they told me that my rim uses 9mm quick-release.

So my question is, besides purchasing new rims, is there some adapter that will let me use this 20mm fork with my rims?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    What wheel and hub have you got specifically?

You might be able able to get a new axle/set of end caps for the hub to make it 20mm. If not then either send the fork back (and get a different one) or it's time for a new front wheel.

The fork itself is not adaptable, you have a 20mm through axle fork, it can't be anything else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    info about those end caps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulok View Post
    info about those end caps?
    Some hubs use large diameter axles that have press-in end caps used to make them fit different sizes of fork (or frame).

Look at Hope Pro 2s for a good example, they're hub specific so you can't just get 'some end caps' to convert any brand of hub.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    ya,.. the end caps are great.. but not many brands actually use them cept the aftermarket brands. some reason I'm guessing he's got Shimano hubs no end caps...

better off using the fork, and getting a hub or a new(ish?) wheel that is 20mm... you wont regret it. I went 20mm and will never go back to QR, very obvious improvement in how rigid the wheel is inside the fork and the fork it's self..

Hope, DT swiss? and a few others do use the end caps but guessing the shop would have pointed that out if there were convertible?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    This is the adapter that you'll need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would relace to a new hub or buy a new wheel. A through axle is a HUGE improvement....

mtbr member
    Purchasing new rims will not help...

Purchasing a new 20mm hub and having it laced to your existing wheel OR purchasing a whole new wheel with a 20mm hub will.

If it's a closed dropout 20mm then the adapters Cobba linked look promissing. If it's an old Marzocchi open dropout 20mm fork like , then you will for sure need both a new hub and the correct 20mm "skewer".
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for all the replies.

The hub is a Shimano SHM475. The fork is a Marzocchi Bomber Z.3 QR20.

What are my alternatives?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by myersv View Post

There are no alternatives as your hub in not able to convert to 20mm.

You need a hub capable of holding a 20mm axle.

New 20mm hub laced to existing wheel or an all new wheel with a 20mm hub, those are the options.

mtbr member

New 20mm hub laced to existing rim OR new wheel with 20mm hub OR different fork

And if the fork didn't come with the 20mm axle you'll need that too.

Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks again.

This is the 2nd fork I've purchased that doesn't fit. Unfortunately, I've learned the hard way.

Needless to say, I really don't want to return this fork, and I don't want to purchase a new front rim.

How much would a 20mm hub cost and how much would it be to install it in my existing rim?

EDR
    Thanks again.

This is the 2nd fork I've purchased that doesn't fit. Unfortunately, I've learned the hard way.

Needless to say, I really don't want to return this fork, and I don't want to purchase a new front rim.

How much would a 20mm hub cost and how much would it be to install it in my existing rim?
    Your looking at 60 bucks or so minimum for a 20mm front hub, probably closer to $80 for a new buy in the cheapest range....but if you search around you might find them cheaper.

Components > Wheel Goods > Hubs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

My lbs charges $40 to re-lace a wheel. That's labor only. If you need new spokes and nipples ( to be determined during the build) you can expect to pay $1 a piece for each...minimum. So if your wheel has 32 spokes that = another $32..at least.

It's often more cost effective to just buy a whole new wheel online unless you have a really nice rim to begin with. If you buy a new wheel maybe you can ebay your old one for a few bucks. Not likely though if it's a POS.

EDR
    Here is a cheap one from Sette

Sette DH 20mm 32 Hole Hub at Price Point

You need to know if you have a 6 bolt rotor though....and not the new shimano type. If your brake rotor doesn't match you'll need one of those too.