mtbr member
    Apr 2014

9mm qr fork with a 5mm qr wheel

Hi, just wondering if I could use a fork from Specialized Bicycle Components on a Boulder 1 (Black) (2012) | Giant Bicycles | New Zealand. I know the fork will fit on the bike but I don't know whether it would fit the wheel. The wheel has a 5mm qr and the bike the fork comes off has a 9mm qr. Will this affect it in any way?

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    A 5mm qr skewer goes through a hollow 9mm axle which is attached to the hub.

The front wheel on the Boulder will fit on the fork on the Specialized and the front wheel on the Specialized will fit on the fork on the Boulder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    That is what I thought, thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sorry to hijack an old thread, but this is exactly what I'm wondering and I've scoured the web for an answer and found nothing.

In this case, both the wheel and the fork were "9mm QR," which uses a 5mm skewer, which isn't the same as a 5mm QR wheel. Is this correct?

The reason I'm asking is because a local used parts seller has a good deal on a wheel, but isn't sure what the axle is, aside from "quick release." It's a bit of a drive and I'm wondering if it's worth the drive. I have a 9mm QR fork.

Pic of wheel in question: 9mm qr fork with a 5mm qr wheel-bike_wheel2.jpg

Is it worth a drive? If it's a 5mm QR, is there a way for it to fit on my 9mm QR fork?

mtbr member
    almost 100% guarantee it's a 9mm QR wheel. front wheels use a 9mm axle, rear wheels use a 10mm axle. both front and rear wheels (essentially all QR axles) use a 5mm QR skewer.

There are a few specialty axles, but those are normally clearly identified as thru-bolts or thru-axles.

How much is he wanting for that wheel though, and what type of rim/hub/tire does it have? It doesn't look like a high end wheel (36 spoke and schraeder valve), other than the fact it is disc brake. Almost looks like a wallyworld bike wheel. ridable in a pinch, but there are much better wheels out there for decent price.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    5mm is the skewer size, there are no 5mm wheels or forks. All 5mm skewers fit into 9mm wheels and forks as 5mm is part of the 9mm standard.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    5mm is the skewer size, there are no 5mm wheels or forks. All 5mm skewers fit into 9mm wheels and forks as 5mm is part of the 9mm standard.
    I thought there was a 5mm qr as seen on non-suspension front tires. See: http://www.amclassic.com/download/ma...tandard_qr.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    How much is he wanting for that wheel though, and what type of rim/hub/tire does it have?
    He's asking $15 for it. Make/model are unknown. Worth it for a beater wheel?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    In your link the first skewer is a 9mm thru axle skewer which is not very common.

The 2nd skewer is a standard quick release that is used in 9mm quick release axle

So one is a thru axle, the other is a quick release.
    Redline D880
    Redline Conquest
    Breezer Thunder One
    Moto Boris
    GT Tequesta
    Charge Grater
    Nashbar Carbon Road Bike

mtbr member
    For a beater that's close by, sure. I'd want to double check that it's alloy and double walled. Otherwise, it could bend on you at the trails. If you have to drive and put in over 30 minutes and gas, questionable if it's worth it. You can get some decent quality wheels online for about $50, but they won't include the tire or brake rotor. Probably find a much better used wheel in the $40 range.

FYI, that link described a QR vs. 9mm thru-axle. Both are designed around a 9mm space in the fork, so you can use a 9mm QR axle with a 5mm QR skewer, or a 9-mm thru-bolt axle with a 9mm thru-bolt skewer. The 9mm thru bolt is basically an aftermarket method of putting newer and higher quality wheels into older forks and still have a quality axle system. Thru-bolts are stronger and stiffer than QR axles.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bstock92 View Post
    I thought there was a 5mm qr as seen on non-suspension front tires. See: http://www.amclassic.com/download/ma...tandard_qr.pdf
    Those are both 9mm axles. One 9mm axle uses a qr, the other doesnt, but they're both still 9mm axles and fit all 9mm forks.