Thread: '97 Indy SL?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

'97 Indy SL?

My brother gave me an old '97 Gary Fisher Paragon with the Indy SL fork. Fork is shot, took it apart today, the elastomer crumbled out. I have two questions.

First, how do i separate the lower from the upper fork? I found a manual online. It says to loosen bolt with a 6mm hex head. I stick it down in there but its not engaging anything, i look down in there with a flashlight and cant see a hex head.

Second, should i just replace the fork? If so with what? the indy sl is 1 1/8" threadless, 63mm travel, I would want something i could just swap right in. Or should i buy some elastomers i found for $53?

Thanks

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by emmagator View Post
    My brother gave me an old '97 Gary Fisher Paragon with the Indy SL fork. Fork is shot, took it apart today, the elastomer crumbled out. I have two questions.

First, how do i separate the lower from the upper fork? I found a manual online. It says to loosen bolt with a 6mm hex head. I stick it down in there but its not engaging anything, i look down in there with a flashlight and cant see a hex head.

Second, should i just replace the fork? If so with what? the indy sl is 1 1/8" threadless, 63mm travel, I would want something i could just swap right in. Or should i buy some elastomers i found for $53?

Thanks

Sorry......you can polish a turd, but in the end, all it is a nice looking turd.

It is 1 1/8" threadless, so find a newer 80-100mm fork.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post

It is 1 1/8" threadless, so find a newer 80-100mm fork.
    What would you suggest? I dont want to spend a lot. This bike wont get ridden much, i just want it operational. Rock shox XC28 is very cheap, would this work for light trail riding?

mtbr member
    I would not spent $53 on elastomers.

Yes a XC28 will "work" for light trial riding. I hope really cheap is a lot less than a $100.

If by "light trail riding" you mean smooth gravel paths. Then you might be able to find a really really cheap Suntour XCR fork, second hand that someone has taken off there bike. These forks get a lot of negative feedback. For the intended purpose (light trail riding) they will be better than the original old Indy fork.
    I would only use a Suntour XCR or above model fork.
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 03-23-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    This thread might help. You can get poly urethane rod off Amazon that might let you rebuild the Indy fork.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.