Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

'97 Indy SL?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mitzikatzi 
#1 ·
My brother gave me an old '97 Gary Fisher Paragon with the Indy SL fork. Fork is shot, took it apart today, the elastomer crumbled out. I have two questions.

First, how do i separate the lower from the upper fork? I found a manual online. It says to loosen bolt with a 6mm hex head. I stick it down in there but its not engaging anything, i look down in there with a flashlight and cant see a hex head.

Second, should i just replace the fork? If so with what? the indy sl is 1 1/8" threadless, 63mm travel, I would want something i could just swap right in. Or should i buy some elastomers i found for $53?

Thanks

#2 ·
My brother gave me an old '97 Gary Fisher Paragon with the Indy SL fork. Fork is shot, took it apart today, the elastomer crumbled out. I have two questions.

First, how do i separate the lower from the upper fork? I found a manual online. It says to loosen bolt with a 6mm hex head. I stick it down in there but its not engaging anything, i look down in there with a flashlight and cant see a hex head.

Second, should i just replace the fork? If so with what? the indy sl is 1 1/8" threadless, 63mm travel, I would want something i could just swap right in. Or should i buy some elastomers i found for $53?

Thanks
Sorry......you can polish a turd, but in the end, all it is a nice looking turd.

It is 1 1/8" threadless, so find a newer 80-100mm fork.

#4 · (Edited)
I would not spent $53 on elastomers.

Yes a XC28 will "work" for light trial riding. I hope really cheap is a lot less than a $100.

If by "light trail riding" you mean smooth gravel paths. Then you might be able to find a really really cheap Suntour XCR fork, second hand that someone has taken off there bike. These forks get a lot of negative feedback. For the intended purpose (light trail riding) they will be better than the original old Indy fork.
I would only use a Suntour XCR or above model fork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.