mtbr member
    Oct 2011

94 Specialized FSR - pivot rebuild help

I posted this in the vintage forum also, but maybe somebody here remembers these and can help.

I bought this bike not too long ago and use it on some easier trails around here. The pivots have some play, so I found a rebuild kit and decided to have at it.

After spending an hour removing two of these sleeved bearings through shear brute force, I figure if a shop had seen one of these back in the day, they would've run the other way if there wasn't an easier way to remove them. Anybody have any tips?

Waiting for peace
    We had a selection of threaded and straight rods in the shop for removing bushings and bearings, the key is to find the rod diameter (and 2 nuts + spacer if needed) that is about half the size of the sleeve and a nut that passes inside the frame part.... use the nuts to lock each other in place and get a hammer and tap out the sleeve ( don't use another sleeve unless you have no use for it afterwards). That's it. No it's not elegant but it does work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks, but I'm not following how that would work. Here's what I'm trying to remove. There is one of these in each end of the hole with a small gap in between where they meet in the middle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Ok, the busing you are installing has a flared end and a non flared end. I think taking a washer that is "just" small enough to fit thru the frame fitting without the bushing in is just large enough to engage the bushing non flared end lip.

THe threaded rod is a good idea cause you can use a slightly smaller size nut on each end of the washer to lock the washer in place. Then you can use a hammer and tap away to remove the bushing.

Does that help?

Bill

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    That makes sense, but the flared ends are on both sides of the frame hole so there is no way to get the washer in the frame.

I think I figured it out after staring at it a while. There's a split in the bushing with a small V-cut you can kind of see in the picture. I took my vice grips with the sharpest edge on them so I could get a grip on the lip and squashed the bushing at the split. The v-cut allowed the bushing to cave in on itself. It came right out after that. Not pretty, but it worked and was a quick way to remove them.

Waiting for peace
    Sorry, my bad! I thought you were having trouble getting out the sleeves not the bushings. Those we hammered out with a flatblade screwdriver until we could grab them with pliers!