mtbr member
    Feb 2007

888 ATA WC servicing - URGENT help needed

I am getting desperate here, help definately required.

I have 2008 888 ATA WC fork and tried to service it myself. I found a couple of basic guides for taking apart a 888 fork to do a simple oil change service. After getting the ATA cart out of the right leg easily I am now having major problems with the left leg.

I have removed the red compression adjuster from the bottom and the rebound and volume adjust knobs from the top. I also removed the small circlip (part 52, see below) from the bottom end of the cart. I then loosened the bottom nut (part 22) with a 17mm socket and now it just keeps spinning without coming off. I also cannot tighten it back up. I expected it to just pop off and the oil to flow out. I tried giving the brass nipple on the bottom of the cart a tap with a rubber mallet but no luck. I also loosened the top cap (part 39) but nothing helps.

How do I get the lower nut off and cart out to finish the service ? Failing that how do I tighten it back up ?

mtbr member
    Righto

Firstly, that circlip is not supposed to be removed during service, it is meant to stay on the brass compression adjuster, so it would be best to put it back now before it gets lost

Now with your non loosening nut, one way to do it is using an impact wrench, but personally im against these cause if you screw up your gonna cause some major damage. Try inverting the fork and put you foot in the lower crown and lifting up on the lowers via the axle with your hand, then try undoing the nut, with the cart extended to the max, there should be enough fiction to hold it in place so you can undo it

Let us know how it goes!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R
    Righto

Firstly, that circlip is not supposed to be removed during service, it is meant to stay on the brass compression adjuster, so it would be best to put it back now before it gets lost

Now with your non loosening nut, one way to do it is using an impact wrench, but personally im against these cause if you screw up your gonna cause some major damage. Try inverting the fork and put you foot in the lower crown and lifting up on the lowers via the axle with your hand, then try undoing the nut, with the cart extended to the max, there should be enough fiction to hold it in place so you can undo it

Let us know how it goes!
    I found a comment somewhere that suggested holding the brass compression adjuster with pliers or a tiny spanner and then turning the larger nut which worked fine.

I also put that circlip back on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardwax
    I found a comment somewhere that suggested holding the brass compression adjuster with pliers or a tiny spanner and then turning the larger nut which worked fine.

I also put that circlip back on.
    That is also another way to do it that skipped my mind at the time..

Anyways, glad to hear you got it off!