mtbr member
    Nov 2005

8" rotor for MX Pro?

I just ordered the Marzocchi MX Pro ETA/TAS from 2006. The online manual specs it for a 6" rotor. I ride a very hilly area, but won't be bombing downhill. I will probably ride for a half-hour downhill on fire roads. My current brakes are Deore hydros modified with 8" Gothic rotors both front and rear. For my use, is there any significant danger in running 8" rotors despite what Marzocchi says?

mtbr member
    I run the 185mm front rotor with my BB7 on my MX Pro ETA no problem.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I used Hope Mono M4s with an 8" rotor on my 2005 MX Pro ETAs. Never gave me any bother and I used them in the alps on long descents (7 miles).

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I have used a 180mm and a 185mm on my old MX and Marathon.... but it already showed some visible flex (stopping my 220 lbs )... a 203mm rotor would be too much and is definitely way over Marz specs.... the 07 MX forks are apparently clear for 180mm, stanchions are still 30mm,l maybe3 they modified the dropouts a bit (or just decided to allow it now)

the 36 year old grom
    I broke the brake tab on my 2005 mx pro with 203mm brakes. fixed it with super glue and sold it.

Freshly Fujified

That's not funny

Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    I broke the brake tab on my 2005 mx pro with 203mm brakes. fixed it with super glue and sold it.
    Not even close to being funny. You should be strung up for the mere fact that you did this.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I have used a 180mm and a 185mm on my old MX and Marathon.... but it already showed some visible flex (stopping my 220 lbs )... a 203mm rotor would be too much and is definitely way over Marz specs.... the 07 MX forks are apparently clear for 180mm, stanchions are still 30mm,l maybe3 they modified the dropouts a bit (or just decided to allow it now)
    Correct, the lowers were different for 2006.

As far as that superglue on the broken tab, really not funny. Should be a temp ban, if anything.