mtbr member

7.5x1.75 shock = 120mm? bit confused on sizing. HELP

So, I just recently purchased a RS Monarch 3.3 with a size of 7.5 e2e x1.75 stroke.The RS shock was a "new take off" from a bike from a few years ago. It has not been mounted as of yet because it's in transit.This is the same stock size as my X-fusion that came on my bike.

I talked to my LBS about helping me with sizing up spacers, mounting hardware etc. when he mentioned that I may have trouble with dampening and achieving complete travel because my X-Fusion was "tuned" for my bike.

Is this right? Will this shock work???

Bike:
    2009 Specialized FSR/XC Comp 120mm f/r

Someone educate me please..........confused....

thanks in advance....
    Last edited by bgfthntr; 11-13-2012 at 11:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bgfthntr View Post
    So, I just recently purchased a RS Monarch 3.3 with a size of 7.5 e2e x1.75 stroke.The RS shock was a "new take off" from a bike from a few years ago. It has not been mounted as of yet because it's in transit.This is the same stock size as my X-fusion that came on my bike.

I talked to my LBS about helping me with sizing up spacers, mounting hardware etc. when he mentioned that I may have trouble with dampening and achieving complete travel because my X-Fusion was "tuned" for my bike.

Is this right? Will this shock work???

Bike:
    2009 Specialized FSR/XC Comp 120mm f/r

Someone educate me please..........confused....

thanks in advance....
    Some bike manufactures may not use an off the shelf shock rather they will be custom tuned to the specifications they desire for the frame. How much that differs from an off the shelf shock ??? When purchasing an aftermarket shock most will try and match the frames leverage ratio w/ the dampning tune. RS has a chart that lists tune vs leverage ratio. If you already have the shock mount it and see if it performs to your liking .

mtbr member
    Thanks for your input. Not knowing what bike or what specs on the shock is I'll guess I'll take a chance.

THAT guy
    I wouldn't worry about it too much.. Honestly the X-fusion stuff had a tune of "complete crap" IMO. And whever tune the monarch has will probably feel better, even if it's not the right one for your frame.
    Bikes:
    2010 Spec Enduro comp.
    2013 Specialized Demo 8 (build)

Bike Addiction
    There is always PUSH if the ride is not what you want. It might be just fine though. I would'nt worry till you ride.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    The X-Fusion was OK but I found it difficult to dial in. And also the allen screw heads stripped so I couldn't make changes later.

Looking forward to seeing what this RS will do..... fingers crossed....

thanks.

mtbr member
    So the saga continues.....

The stock size should be 7.5x1.75.....I bought the Rock Shox which was claimed to be this size.... The shock post had a small scratch and I was going to return it.... decided to keep it because I PUT i scratch in it....

Now I did a measurement with air in the shock and it's 7.75 instead of 7.5! Will this work or do I need to return it to this guy..... so darn frustrated..... ebay can really stink sometimes....

Just want to ride.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So the saga continues.....

The stock size should be 7.5x1.75.....I bought the Rock Shox which was claimed to be this size.... The shock post had a small scratch and I was going to return it.... decided to keep it because I PUT i scratch in it....

Now I did a measurement with air in the shock and it's 7.75 instead of 7.5! Will this work or do I need to return it to this guy..... so darn frustrated..... ebay can really stink sometimes....

Just want to ride.....
    Happens all the time w/ ebay but if you scratched the shock I don't know a buyer that would accept a return like that. Best bet would be to find a common 7.5 x 2 and add a 1/4" spacer / shim to the damper shaft to reduce the stroke.

Bike Addiction
    If the guy from e-bay made a mistake on the size I would think he should take it back. You thought you were buying a 7.5 and he said it was a 7.5. Misrepresentation of the product, even if it was an accident.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00sable View Post
    If the guy from e-bay made a mistake on the size I would think he should take it back. You thought you were buying a 7.5 and he said it was a 7.5. Misrepresentation of the product, even if it was an accident.
    Yah I think so too. He said he'll take it back since it had a nic in the shaft and the size was WAY off. Even with the scratches near the eyelets.

I will either purchase a FOX RP2 or Have the X-Fusion rebuilt. The guys at X-Fusion have always been very helpful and easy to contact.

Bike Addiction
    I still have the original X-Fusion. It prolly has 100 miles on it.If your interested I would take $25.00 for it shipped. Its clean. No scratches. Its been sitting in my shop for a couple of years. I checked it a few months ago to make sure it still works. PM me if you want it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00sable View Post
    I still have the original X-Fusion. It prolly has 100 miles on it.If your interested I would take $25.00 for it shipped. Its clean. No scratches. Its been sitting in my shop for a couple of years. I checked it a few months ago to make sure it still works. PM me if you want it.
    Thank you..... I'll PM you.....

mtbr member
    will a shock with a shorter stroke and the same eye to eye work? for example stock is 7.5x1.75 and looking at 7.5x1.50....

thx

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    will a shock with a shorter stroke and the same eye to eye work? for example stock is 7.5x1.75 and looking at 7.5x1.50....

thx
    It will work but you lose travel. Another option is to "shim" the stroke down on a common 7.5 x 2.0.