Dirt Rag Extraordinaire

66 Evo Ti or 36 Talas RC2 FIT on VP-Free

Hey,

I'm building up an old VP-Free as a 'do-it-all' trail bike (leisurely climbs & rip-roaring descents), and it's currently got '08 66 RC3's on it. I haven't actually taken it for a ride yet, still waiting on a few parts, but I'm thinking about replacing the forks. The '08 66's look like new, and I can only feel minimal bushing slop (haven't been for a proper ride on them), but they're from a bad period in Marzocchi's history where many products had on-going issues. I'd rather not tempt fate.

I've been looking around and I can get 66 Evo Ti's for a decent price, and the 36 Talas slightly below retail (no bargain). Being oldschool, I've always lent towards Marzocchi in the past, and would like to stick with them. On the other hand, the 36 Talas is almost half a kilo lighter, and I really dig travel adjust, having 55 ETA's which I love. I had the first 36 Talas, the brown ones, and was never really happy with them. I'm 230lbs, or about 105kg, and found them impossible to dial-in; adding enough pressure for adequate preload meant a really stiff ride, but reducing the pressure meant hideous brake dive.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    Ride the 08 for a while.
    It's not going to disentegrate on you.
    I prefer 66s on the VP Free-can ride mine anywhere with the 2010 66Ti on it.
    Not a Talas fan for long travel bikes-prefer Floats or Vans.