mtbr member
    Apr 2013

5th element shock rebuild or replace? Please advise!

Hi Everybody, i need help!! My son blew out his 5th element shox on his '05 enduro expert. I have tried to get it rebuilt but nobody has seals??? Does anybdy out there have any recommendations on rebuilding or possible bolt on replacements? Please advise! Thanx!!!

mtbr member
    Progressive shocks have a damping system that heats up more than most so they tend to blow seals a lot faster than an average shock. They work great when dialed in but the whole seal failure thing killed their reputation and they exited the mountain bike business focusing on their core motorcycle business where larger oil volumes overcome the design deficiency.
    Having said that, you CAN have it gutted and turned into a normal shim-stack shock by Avy (Avalanche Racing) if we are talking the coil over shock and not the air (if the latter then just throw her out). The shaft and oil resy are still relatively small though so you'll still have to get a rebuild once every 18 months (versus once every 6 months for a standard 5th from my experience). Give Craig a call at 860-537-4306 and tell him I sent you.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

eBiker
    The 05 Enduro was ahead of it's time and has what is currently called "modern geometry", so I suggest looking at a new shock as the frame is still a great one.

It's only deficit is it's pedalling ability, but that can be offset by a shock with a threshold or lockout lever.

I had an 06 Enduro with a Fox DHX Air large air volume and it was terrible. Then I went a couple different coils with mixed results. Later when I got '10 Enduro with a small air can Fox Float shock, it helped me to understand that the suspension works best with a small volume air can, air shock.

The Monarch and Float are good options. Call the shock company to ask what tune is best for the 05 Enduro as that is the internal damping setting and essential to good performance. Outer knobs are for fine tuning, the core performance is preset inside the shock.

P

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Calltime728 View Post
    Hi Everybody, i need help!! My son blew out his 5th element shox on his '05 enduro expert. I have tried to get it rebuilt but nobody has seals??? Does anybdy out there have any recommendations on rebuilding or possible bolt on replacements? Please advise! Thanx!!!
    Progressive (Bike division) went belly up more than 5yrs ago, IIRC. The seals (in Progressive's infinite wisdom) are shock specific and even when they had tons of failures, Progressive choose to replace the shock as opposed to rebuild them.

You best bet is getting a hold of a Monarch or Float as suggested. However, you need the mounting hardware too as it was (again) shock specific as no other shock has the 3/8" mounting hardware the 5th used.

It'll be for the best, though. The 5th was a pretty good shock (others may have a different opinion), I loved mine but it was too unreliable and the lack of spares just make it a tough pill to swallow.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Guys, thanku all for your info and suggestions! I have been filming a show in Big Bear so i havent had time to do anything yet. Now that i have some guidance i can sort it out and get back on some trails with my boys! Thanku, kindly, once again!