Dirt Rag Extraordinaire

5th Element replacement coil spring

Hi,

I need a heavier spring for a 5th Element on a VP-Free.

5th Element spring dimensions:
    Internal diameter = 38mm
    Overall length = 5" or 125mm length
    Rate = 2.75"

I have a 450lbs spring but really need a 550 or 600.

The only spring I can source locally (Australia) are from Fox, and my lbs wants $110, which is frankly ridiculous. Can i use a Manitou or Marzocchi spring? Any idea where I could get a cheap spring that'll fit?

Thanks for your help.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    Yes, both Manitou (heavy tho) or Marzocchi springs fit the 5th.

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Yes, both Manitou (heavy tho) or Marzocchi springs fit the 5th.
    Thanks for your response. What about RS Vivid springs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngy View Post
    Thanks for your response. What about RS Vivid springs?
    No - Vivid, AVY, Romic are all 38.1mm (1.5"). Fox ,Progressive, Manitou use a smaller ID. You listed 38.1mm for your 5th which is too big. Measure your spring retainers - should be about 35mm.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    No - Vivid, AVY, Romic are all 38.1mm (1.5"). Fox ,Progressive, Manitou use a smaller ID. You listed 38.1mm for your 5th which is too big. Measure your spring retainers - should be about 35mm.
    I re-measured the 5th spring ID and it's about 36mm.

Yeah, the inner part of spring retainer, which fits inside the spring holding it in place, is about 35mm. However, the outer part of the retainer, where the spring actually sits, is about 46mm.

Therefore, any spring with an ID greater than 35mm but less than 45mm should fit, huh? Wouldn't that mean the Vivid spring with 38.1mm ID should be fine, if length is also ok.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It would probably be sloppy. Fox springs will fit and are super easy to find. I actually jsut ordered one off of price point for my 5th element, they are like $30.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by novaman64 View Post
    It would probably be sloppy. Fox springs will fit and are super easy to find. I actually jsut ordered one off of price point for my 5th element, they are like $30.
    I went to Pricepoint and found a 2.75x600 Fox spring for about $30. Working my way through their awkward, clunky checkout (unintuitive for international customers), the only postal method offered was Fedex, which wanted to slug me $55. What a joke, USPS would charge $10, if that. May as well pay the $110 my lbs wants, at least I'll be able to try it out first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by novaman64 View Post
    Sloppy fit isn't the issue, rubbing against the resy is. You sure Fox works? They are narrower diameter to the 5ths as I recall.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Sloppy fit isn't the issue, rubbing against the resy is. You sure Fox works? They are narrower diameter to the 5ths as I recall.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Its on my shock on the bike. Its sort of odd, my old spring was labeled as a 325x2.5, the Fox spring (according to them fits a 2.5-2.75 travel shock) is labeled 450x2.8. But what is wird, is the spring is actually shorter than my original Progressive spring. It fits, but ther eis almost no preload adjustment left.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have owned a dozen coil shocks and just about every manufacture has different coil dimensions. Fox, Marzocchi and progressive usually interchanged w/o fuss. Manitou springs have a slightly larger ID which can cause some resy. issues when you get into the larger rate springs. One item that gets overlooked is spring free length. A proper free length will allow you to install the spring (easily) and properly set the preload collar.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Thanks for all the info, very handy.

My VP-Free should be here any time now, and I'm actually tossing-up whether to spend money on a spring for the 5th, or get a new '11 Roco WC offa Ebay (US$300, without spring). I've always wanted a Roco and have read good things about it on VPP frames. Of course I'd really like a CCDB, but I can't justify the expense.

Anyone got an opinion on the Roco for a VP-Free?