mtbr member
    Jul 2011

55 rc3 evo vs 55 cr??

im looking for a new fork to replace my 160 talas, im deciding between the bos deville and a marzocchi 55, just wondering if anyone has ridden, or has feedback regarding the CR and the rc3 evo ti.
    the CR is a bit cheaper which is nice, seems like most the price in the evo ti is in the fact that it has a ti spring.. and i dont really care one way or the other when it comes to coil vs air, im open to either.

i ride mostly all mountain and DH/bike park, dont really do any super gnarly rock DH, i more enjoy the fast, flowy stuff and jumps. if i were purely focused on the DH/bike park side id just go with the evo ti, but the cr is cheaper and a little lighter which is good, as im really trying to loose rather than gain weight on the bike.

only way ill get the bos is if i can be convinced that i can get it serviced and the process isnt a pain in the ass.

jzt
    mtbr member
    I have one.. highly recommended, especially for the price! I have mine set at 150mm on an Ibis Mojo SL, with a Marz Roco Air TST in the rear.

Dead easy to service and fiddle with at home, no special tools needed. Plus the new gold race coating looks hot.

There is a simple external low-speed compression adjuster and, apparently, an adjustable (provided you have shims) shimmed compression stack inside for speed sensitive damping.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've got a 55 Cr and a 2013 160 RC2. The RC2 is stiffer but for 1/2 the price the CR is as nice a ride on the average trail. Rides high and plush. A bit linear if you push it hard.Real world weight it's only 100gm heavier as well.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    I just bought a CR. I'm running it a 150mm on a Giant Reign. Seems like a great fork overall, but like gvs_nz said it seems like it might be a little too linear for 150mm of travel. The CR uses a cartridge damper, so the service intervals should be shorter than the RC3. They're supposedly going with a version of the CR damper for next years top end models, so I figured I'd buy one while it's still cheap and they still make a 26" version.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a 888 cr and its awesome. My fork is pretty progressive, but they add a ton of oil to the spring side to make it so. The adjusters work, and the damper is competent and capable on the gnarliest dh trails. They don't make a cr 29er fork or I'd be buying one. I came from a trio of rs boxers and an Avy dhf, and the cr is almost as good as the Avy.