mtbr member
    Jan 2005

30mm Short of Full Travel (Vanilla 130 RLC)

OK. I've bought an almost new pair of FOX Vanilla 130 RLC's 2006.
    Hardly used and the condition backs it up. No scratches at all.Cosmetically perfect.
    Having read through the FOX Manual all the various adjustments appear to work fine.

However, when I finally got the forks along side my other bike (with 105mm Marzzochi Comp ETA) the exposed length of stanchion looked the same.

So I measured the Vanilla's exposed stanchion and got just 100mm.

So my question is how will I ever get 130mm of travel if there's only 100mm of stanchion showing?

Might they have been internally adjusted to 100mm before I got them? (surprising as they seriously appear hardly used)

Or is there something that I may have done in trying out the adjustments that could have restricted the travel?

I'm a little bit miffed as I bought the Vanilla's together with a heckler frame so that could have more travel than my other bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

spacer?

Not really sure about this but the only thing I can think of is that there is an extra spacer on the preload side. There should be only one on top of the spring. I'll measure my 05 vanilla when I get home.

Rallius

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    there's several other posts about travel changes further down that might be of help.

Rallius

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallius
    there's several other posts about travel changes further down that might be of help.
    Rallius
    I did try a quick search but got a forum is busy message.
    I'll give it another go.
    Cheers anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Spacer

The fork is probably set to 100mm, with a spacer.
    After looking at the manual if it is set a 100mm you are going to have to take out the whole spring and plunger cause the spacer is at the bottom and you want to take it out and place it at the top of the spring. You are also going to need the oil that you loose upon removal of such spring, plunger to refill the leg after you are done. Just look at the 32mm fork manual page 11-12 for the vanilla travel change it tells you everything you need.
    Last edited by gkler; 03-21-2006 at 12:23 PM.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    that is what i was thinking....probably came set at 100mm

Do It Yourself
    If you're set at 100mm, you'll need to move the spacer from near the top out spring to just under the top cap for 130mm travel. You also need another 30mm spacer (try your LBS or Fox at 800 FOX SHOX) for the top of the spring on the damping side. No need to take the oil out of the damping side but you will need to drain the oil from the spring side to get to the spacer. You can reuse the oil if it looks clean.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for all the replies guys...most helpful