mtbr member
    May 2007

29" Pike 160mm - Can it be lowered to 140mm or 130mm?

I need a Pike 29" 140mm for a Turner Sultan that I am building up. There are tons of great deals out there for the 160mm version. My question is: Can I lower it with the purchase of a 140mm air shaft? I actually have a older 140mm shaft that I took out of one of the first Pikes that I bought back in 2013-2014 and dropped it down to a 120mm for the bike I had at the time, which rode better at 120mm than the 140mm I started out at. I tried to contact Rockshox, but they only want to speak/deal with bike shops. No consumer help line
    Anyways been searching the forum, but can't find any info on this particular scenario... everybody seems to want to increase travel, not decrease...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

C-H
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Don't know but I have a 2018 29" Pike RCT3 140mm, factory refurb with ~160 miles on it for sale.
    PM if interested.

mtbr member
    I have this same question. A friend is looking to do the same thing to his Pike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Can't believe how hard it is to find out anything from sram/rockshox site. I have had two different sellers respond back and say they are not changeable, but for some reason I don't want to believe that

mtbr member
    Yep just change out the air spring shaft.
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

C-H
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    SRAM/RockShox customer support is somewhat of a shadow operation hardly ever seen or experienced first hand.
    All is done by the retailers. Never ever direct customer interaction.

mtbr member
    Just look at the current spare parts catalog. I lowered my lyrik to 130 when the LBS wanted to argue that lyrik couldn't be lowered passed 150. Part number for CSU and lower are same for yari and there is a 130 air shaft for that. I practically had to force my LBS to order it for me. It took 5 minutes to install and low and behold I have a super burly 130 lyrik for my hardtail. Bottom line is that as useless as SRAM is you can always cross reference part numbers for compatibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks LT... That is the kinda stuff I was wanting to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_twin View Post
    Just look at the current spare parts catalog. I lowered my lyrik to 130 when the LBS wanted to argue that lyrik couldn't be lowered passed 150. Part number for CSU and lower are same for yari and there is a 130 air shaft for that. I practically had to force my LBS to order it for me. It took 5 minutes to install and low and behold I have a super burly 130 lyrik for my hardtail. Bottom line is that as useless as SRAM is you can always cross reference part numbers for compatibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug67 View Post
    Thanks LT... That is the kinda stuff I was wanting to find out.
    Changing air springs is these forks is pretty easy. Download the service manual and it's all there. Don't forget you'll need some 8mm crush washers for the lower bolts and if I remember right it's 0W30 oil in the Pike and Lyrik. I don't actually own either a Pike or a Lyrik currently but have had a few. If you need some crush washers I have a bag of 50 I bought when I had two Pikes. PM me and PP me a 5 bucks and I'll send you 6 of each in the post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Changing air springs is these forks is pretty easy. Download the service manual and it's all there. Don't forget you'll need some 8mm crush washers for the lower bolts and if I remember right it's 0W30 oil in the Pike and Lyrik. I don't actually own either a Pike or a Lyrik currently but have had a few. If you need some crush washers I have a bag of 50 I bought when I had two Pikes. PM me and PP me a 5 bucks and I'll send you 6 of each in the post.
    Is that offer open to anyone? If so pm me your pp info.

Out spokin'
    FWIW Squish Dynamics is a good resource for all things Rock Shox. Squish owner Andy is former Rock Shox factory guy. It's the only brand he currently works on, I believe. Anyway when it comes to RS stuff, Andy knows it all, intimately.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Is that offer open to anyone? If so pm me your pp info.
    Sure thing, I donít need them right now. Iíve been running MRP forks. PM on the way to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Function in disaster, finish in style.