mtbr member
    Feb 2013

29" Commuter Fork

I'm speccing out my first custom bike now. I'm looking to pair a Soma Juice with a front suspension for riding around San Francisco (and occasionally the trails in Marin). I know many people recommend a rigid fork for city riding, but I'd rather have the bike absorb the potholes/road chatter than my joints (which is why I'm building a 29er instead of buying a Public Bike).

As you know, picking a fork can be daunting when you aren't a bike geek. Most of the manufacturers web sites seem to be more geared towards internal customers (or maybe OEMs) than end users. They have 100 poorly-differentiated models spread across a bunch of hard-to-discern categories.

One strategy I'm considering is looking at what Cannondale/Specialized/Trek are putting on their bikes and getting something similar. From browsing this forum I can tell that many people are unhappy with their stock shocks, but it seems those people are also building their bikes for jumping off of rocks and the like in the mountains.

Since I'm mostly going to be riding in the city, and occasionally riding a trail in Marin or Tahoe, do you think I'd be OK getting an OEM-quality fork? I'd feel a bit silly pouring in a bunch of money to put something that looks like it belongs on a motorcycle on my grocery-getter.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    One other question:

How safe is it to get a used shock?

I know the local co-op (Bike Kitchen) has a bunch of front forks available. I also presume that a shock is something that wears out over time. I'd love to reuse existing components when it makes sense, but I wonder if grabbing a used fork at a co-op is going to get me something that's past its prime.

If you're looking to save some cash and not building for particularly rugged terrain, would you recommend getting something like the Suntour XCR, something from the bike co-op, or is it necessary to get something closer to the RockShox Reba?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brenton View Post
    One other question:

How safe is it to get a used shock?

I know the local co-op (Bike Kitchen) has a bunch of front forks available. I also presume that a shock is something that wears out over time. I'd love to reuse existing components when it makes sense, but I wonder if grabbing a used fork at a co-op is going to get me something that's past its prime.

If you're looking to save some cash and not building for particularly rugged terrain, would you recommend getting something like the Suntour XCR, something from the bike co-op, or is it necessary to get something closer to the RockShox Reba?
    one real good option for ya.
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox Recon Silver TK 29er Solo Air Fork
    ...then try to locate a combo pump (one that can air up a shocka/fork AND a tire.
    You can try ebay for a pump...and get some seal and other replacement fork repair parts there too.
    Later on you can upgrade the TK lockout with a Argyle fork motion control circuit.
    Read this:
    Motion Control cross compatibility: Tora/Argyle

the tora is the forerunner of the recon...very similar.
    go on rockshox.com and download the tech manuals to learn how to service the recon 2011.
    This would be a really good option for you.Just make sure you get a coil argyle motion control unit...prolly a 2011 model.not sure about the 2013.
    Or try a 2013 recon fork...but prolly more money.google up the argyle motion control.somebody has them.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the info! I'd love to understand how you came to that recommendation (so I can learn too).

Do you think it's worth checking what Bike Kitchen has, or will they likely be too worn out? I take it the Recon is much better than a $100 Suntour you'd find on an OEM build. What makes it so?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Also, I may need to find an 80mm fork to keep enough standover clearance. The other option would be to get more clearance by running skinnier tires. I take it that 29er reported geometry presumes 2-3" tires, and I'd probably be more comfortable with some narrower cross tires for now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brenton View Post
    Thanks for the info! I'd love to understand how you came to that recommendation (so I can learn too).

Do you think it's worth checking what Bike Kitchen has, or will they likely be too worn out? I take it the Recon is much better than a $100 Suntour you'd find on an OEM build. What makes it so?
    read the reviews,use the mtbr search,etc.(use the google search)
    A low priced Manitou,X-Fusion,or Rock Shox fork is what you need if you want suspension.

The Recon deal is a closeout...they won't be there long.
    You might also want to check ebay and pricepoint.com.
    A 32mm stanction tube fork is what you want...don't get a 28mm stanction tube fork...like a Dart.
    Ask questions in the Suspension forum etc. about the Recon Silver. The Recon Gold is even better.And some Manitou Minute forks and X-Fusion forks are good too.Ask about them around the mtbr forums.Your tire size is up to you.You maight want to try different tires.An OEM Suntour fork is not in the same ballpark as the 3 brands I mentioned.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld