mtbr member
    Aug 2010

27.5 fork on 26 frame

I am wanting the new Mattoc for my '12 El Guapo frame but worried about the availability in the future. I was curious to know what effect on the bike if I ran a 27.5 fork with the 26" front wheel. The A2C is 10mm longer with the 27.5 Mattoc than my current 160mm Lyrik. Would the head angle slacken with this setup?

thanks!

Off the back...
    Generally speaking, you're looking at about 1 degree head angle change for every 20mm change in A2C, so you're looking at 1/2 degree slacker for that 10mm longer fork.
    dgsmills.com
    #pinkrobeyyc
    CMBA

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Also keep in mind the rake on most of the 27.5 forks is a bit more as well. Lyrik is 40mm and the Mattoc is listed at 44mm. Not a huge difference but along with the 10mm added height the front end will feel a bit more slack. Whether that is a good or a bad thing for you is tough to say, definitely a matter of personal preference. I like the Mattoc on paper but haven't spent any time on one. If you are open to other options, check out the MRP Stage as their 26/27.5 fork is a single model and a2c is virtually identical to the Lyrik at the same travel. I switched from Lyrik to Stage recently and it's an incredible fork.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Ow!
    You can compensate a bit on the A2C (and HA) by using a ZS bottom cup if your frame can do that. Also, you could get an Angleset or other angled HS. All of this means buying more stuff. You may like the new HA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    For the same A2C you will sacrifice 10mm of travel or for the same travel but higher A2C you will change your bike geometry as the guys above already mentioned. Personally I was in the same dilemma for my NS Surge and Giant Reign SX but I chose to get the 26 inch version and get the extra 10mm without spoiling the bike geometry.

As for the future if I ever want a 27.5 bike I will buy one that was designed from the beginning as such but for now I enjoy both my 26ers are they were designed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thank you to everyone...really great info here. My EG has a 68 degree head and making it more slack would be great. It would drop my bb too I am guessing but don't think that would be terrible. My dilemma is buy the Mattoc for a very good price or drop $220 on the MiCo and rebound damper for my Lyrik (as mine is Rebound only). I really wanted a new frame but just can't swing it this year.
    I am a 26" man but worried about their future in available frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    A higher A2C fork will slacken your HA and increase your BB height instead of dropping it as you mentioned. I don't believe that it would make a huge difference but there will be small changes (HA, BB, rake etc) the sum of which may change your bike performance overall.

mtbr member
    There's only 10mm in it.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Obviously it is not a dealbraker but still it is worth mentioning. Sometimes I also ask myself if I should have gone the 27.5 fork way but honestly I am happy with my current set up that is 100% 26 specific.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

26 fork in a 27.5 inch frame

Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    I am wanting the new Mattoc for my '12 El Guapo frame but worried about the availability in the future. I was curious to know what effect on the bike if I ran a 27.5 fork with the 26" front wheel. The A2C is 10mm longer with the 27.5 Mattoc than my current 160mm Lyrik. Would the head angle slacken with this setup?

thanks!
    I bought a 26inch Mattoc for a blur LTc, but now got a good deal on a kona process frame. So, I want to use the 26 inch mattoc on the 27.5 mattoc frame. 3 questions:
    (1) I am reading that the lowers are exactly the same so that means I will have no tire clearance issues right? I prefer to run a 2.4 or so
    (2) I see the crown to axle is 10mm more on the 27.5 (10mm less on mine). So, that would make the angle steeper, however, it is a 134mm kona. So, I can just set the travel to 160 or 150 instead of the 140 on the fork and should have the same head angle with a little more travel, right?
    (3) The offset is 4mm difference. I can't imagine that I would expect any difference in 4mm of offset really. It would make it more or less twitchy at speed? I think more. I can't get the offset to twitchness thing straight in my head. THanks all. If it doesn't work out please let me know if anyone wants a barely used black mattoc 26inch with long enough steerer for any bike (8inches +). From Canada too, so basically free if U pay in USD!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osakana View Post
    I bought a 26inch Mattoc for a blur LTc, but now got a good deal on a kona process frame. So, I want to use the 26 inch mattoc on the 27.5 mattoc frame. 3 questions:
    (1) I am reading that the lowers are exactly the same so that means I will have no tire clearance issues right? I prefer to run a 2.4 or so
    (2) I see the crown to axle is 10mm more on the 27.5 (10mm less on mine). So, that would make the angle steeper, however, it is a 134mm kona. So, I can just set the travel to 160 or 150 instead of the 140 on the fork and should have the same head angle with a little more travel, right?
    (3) The offset is 4mm difference. I can't imagine that I would expect any difference in 4mm of offset really. It would make it more or less twitchy at speed? I think more. I can't get the offset to twitchness thing straight in my head. THanks all. If it doesn't work out please let me know if anyone wants a barely used black mattoc 26inch with long enough steerer for any bike (8inches +). From Canada too, so basically free if U pay in USD!!!
    To convert a Mattoc from 26" to 27" you do the following:

Open the damper side, remove the compression assembly, drain the oil and remove the rebound assembly.
    Remove the rebound damper cartridge tube (pro only) so you can access the rebound piston.
    Change the shorter 26" HBO cone on the rebound piston to the longer 27" HBO cone.
    Reassemble and install the rebound damper, once lowers are reinstalled set oil level to 77mm (pro) or 80mm (expert) and reinstall compression damper.

Open the air spring side, add a 10mm spacer between the bottom-out bumper and shaft foot. If you need to increase travel to 160mm then remove the air spring shaft from the bottom of the leg and remove all travel spacers from above the top-cap.

Reassemble the spring side with Slick Honey (slickoleum) grease on the piston and seals.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    All day.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.