mtbr member
    May 2004

24" suspension fork

Hi folks,

I am a freakishly short adult male (4'11") who just bought a 24-inch wheeled specialized hotrock FSR (a kiddie bike) after finding that even the smallest-framed 26" bikes could not provide enough standover for my teeny 25.5 inch legs or a reasonable geometry (I'm spoiled by my custom 650c-based road frame). I also MTB newbee, so take it easy on me if I'm asking a stupid question.

After riding the bike for about a month (about 10 rides on mildy technical stuff, logs and roots mostly), I realize that I'm stuck with a pretty crapy 24" RST Capa T4 fork (coil/mcu with adjustable pre-load) and I am trying to figure out my options for an upgrade.

What I've found out so far is (please offer your feedback here):

1. Nobody makes a decent 24" suspension fork.

2. I could use a 26" fork with a 24" wheel if I switched to a disc brake in front, but that would change the geometry (which is why I chose a 24" bike) substantially. The current fork has roughly 50mm of travel and the sliders are 24", so switching to a 80mm 26" fork would push the headtube up about 2" (please tell me if my math is correct here).

3. There may be a way to upgrade the internals of my existing fork, but I need to do more research here, which part of the reason for my post. Would any of the upgrade kits (to retrofit to existing forks) work on a 24" model?

I also have this crazy idea, that I could somehow adapt the 24" sliders from my current fork onto the stanchions of a decent 26" model (and save my v-brake and an inch of fork length in the process). Am I nuts?

So, I am hoping that the experts here can offer some feedback or advice about my dilemma. Ideally, I would be able to maintain the geometry of the current fork and the short travel, but am hoping to keep the fork from bottoming out so much (I think I'm a bit heavier than the 10 year-olds this bike was built for) and to make it feel less mushy (adjustable damping?) without having to max out the preload and negate the advantage of having the fork in the first place.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions,

Matt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You might check if RST has different spring/mcu stacks available. Most fork manufacturers have springs for different weights, but I don't know about RST. IF the fork has no oil damping it still won't be great, but getting springs that match your weight will be a step up anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the idea. I'm pretty sure my LBS can do this for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    You might check if RST has different spring/mcu stacks available. Most fork manufacturers have springs for different weights, but I don't know about RST. IF the fork has no oil damping it still won't be great, but getting springs that match your weight will be a step up anyway.

The plough
    Spinner makes a 24" suspension fork. Look for a Spinner Silver, or you can click on the link in my signature and navigate around.

Cheers,

V.

EDIT: holy mother of all necros...how the heck did I even see this post? The thread is from 2004... sorry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    go to marzocchis website and click on the link to fork lineup or something like that...they make a 24inch fork

Just make sure your wife isnt in the room................trust me
    Buy My 2010 Mint COndition Transition Covert LARGE 150mm Full suspension. 2000 firm see classified add