Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2015 Fox 36

202K views 1K replies 179 participants last post by  Pontyrider 
#1 ·
Has anyone got any info on the new 2015 Fox 36?

From what I have seen it looks like they have moved away from using a spring on the air side to using air.

I think I will have to get one for my new bike when they come out.

#213 ·
BTW I'm running 70psi (which is about 25% sag depending on how you measure front fork sag, which is kind of difficult to do anyway) and 8-10 clicks in of LSC from open, almost no high speed, and I forget the rebound (lol)

#216 ·
...depending on how you measure front fork sag, which is kind of difficult to do anyway...
Take your calipers and use them to measure something that you can cut to length for your desired sag. I contemplated using chopsticks before settling on a drinking straw that was plenty stiff. I now have one straw cut to 17mm for the shock and one cut to 48mm for the forks that allow me to easily measure sag even in tight spaces.

#226 ·
FWIW, got my fork back last night and back on the bike. I re-installed the stock blue spacer to start as a baseline. Geared up I'm about 205, and I'm running about 70 psi, that gets me right at 25% sag.

I measured my sag with my weight centered over the bike, and both HSC and LSC wide open. We'll see how it does today after work.

#228 · (Edited)
You misunderstood my post. I agree with you to a point . But with latest gen linear forks the air spring is also as important as the damping circuit in controlling the stroke.

My point was you don't use sag as your reference point on a linear fork. You use the endpoint of travel not the starting point as ref. Sure sag is a very rough ref to compare other riders setups. I suspect rider weight/air pressure ratio [ maybe subtract 5 to 10 psi per travel token] is a better guide to other riders.

#229 · (Edited)
Im installing this on the wagon wheeler.
Logo Purple Electric blue Metal Individual sports

Appears lowering it is more involved than I would've expected:nono:

Didn't receive any negative plate spacers with it either, so I can't lower the fork, along with not having the damper and cartridge removal tool or slick honey.

Man, some more shopping is in order

#232 ·
Im installing this on the wagon wheeler.
View attachment 924234
Appears lowering it is more involved than I would've expected:nono:

Didn't receive any negative plate spacers with it either, so I can't lower the fork, along with not having the damper and cartridge removal tool or slick honey.

Man, some more shopping is in order
You got the 160?
You'll love it; what frame?
Been running a 150 on a Tallboy LT w/~27% sag, 2 orange and 1 blue token, at 53psi. It's scary how smooth it is after it breaks in!

#231 ·
Got mine and have a good couple rides on it, including a trail system where fork setup is difficult, at best. It has slow speed steeps, mid-speed chunder, gaps and a few small drops to flat. I could get the 34 this repalced on my Diamondback Mission 27.5 set up for the nasty stuff, but it felt harsh the rest of the time and I swear it spiked a bit, even though it technically shouldn't.

The 36 27.5 at 160mm now keeps up with my frame and rear shock. I didn't even think about the fork on the first few rides, which is a great sign.

I agree with everyone above that sag is a really poor way to set up a fork. Too many variables. I set rear sag and pressure the way I like it, and then get the front to feel balanced with the rear.

I'm running 1 orange + 1 blue token and 82 psi. HSC and LSC are right at Fox's recommended starting points. I'm 205 + gear, so probably 215 on the bike.

I like my fork firm but a bit plush (firm in parking lot tests but soak up the small stuff) and to ride high in the travel with lots of ramp up so I don't bottom harshly on bigger hits. Used all my travel a few times on the shakedown trail, but never harshly. The stiffness difference between this and the 34 is noticeable, and it's a WAY better fork. This new 36 is a great match to this frame which handles my style and size beautifully.

#235 ·
Anyone notice that it seems like there isn't a lot of high speed rebound? You can crank the LSR so it feels right, not too slow, not too fast. But if you don't stay on top of it, the fork can unload on you and pop up super fast. Makes for a fun/fast ride but just once in awhile it almost gets away from me. Don't want to slow it down anymore as it feels just right when parking lot testing

#236 ·
You might want to have your fork checked. Doesn't sound right. I run 4-6 clicks (from fast or full open) of rebound. No issues with high speed (aka end of stroke ie when fully compressed) rebound. This is with 68-75 psi range (depends if riding trail or gravity/bike park).

#237 ·
Haven't noticed any fast kickback when close to fully compressed either. Fork is really great for me even with no fine tuning, and feels great throughout travel compression and rebound.

This fork was such an improvement from anything I have ridden I had to order another for my new bike. Will have green retro decals to match my new frame. Choosing to run a 36 float lowered to 140 or 130 over a 34 float, since it is lighter, stronger and probably feels better. Along with the 15/20mm axle choice it wasn't a hard decision to go 36 again. Have 1 - 26" on the Nomad, and will post up the new 27.5" on the new frame when it's all together and ridden at least once.

#238 ·
Oh well definitely not the harsh kick back you'd get like on the older gen forks, that was the worst. Hard to explain on this fork, no big deal really, just seems like good low speed valving, maybe not as much high speed. Who knows. Fork is bad ass, transformed the way the bike feels

#240 ·
Where are the 2015 RC2 Damper Technical Drawings and service instruction pages?

Who sells the Negative Plate Spacers PN: 234-04-627 ?
I think they do not have damper service instructions anymore, and recommend having dampers serviced in house.

Call fox if you are in the US and they should be able to sell the part number you need, or tell you to order it through a shop.

#243 ·
Finally starting to unlock the full potential of this amazing fork...

I've been running pretty firm, about 15-20% sag so far. Old school thinking of needing pressure to keep the fork up and not allow it to blow through. It was pretty good, but felt it could use a bit more plushness and control (and be less tiring) - and get some twitchiness out (aka improve traction I guess).

Well tried something a bit different after reading up on setups. Decided to increase sag to 25-30%. At the same time, to prevent blowing through at this higher sag, swapped from 1 blue to 1 orange spacer. (Fox has made it SO easy to swap spacers, it's awesome!).

My latest setup, which destroys rock gardens, making them feel like velvet carpets is the following. (I'm about 200-205 geared up, and this is on my 575 running a Float X rear).

Front: 68 psi
LSC: 12-15*
HSC: 7
RBD: 4
Volume spacer: 1 orange (10.8cc)

(clicks shown are from full open)

*12 clicks (from open) was great for chunky technical trail (good small bump compliance, plush but controlled). Bumped it up to 15 clicks of LSC for drops (4-5 ft) and steep rock rolls. But not as plush on small stuff, so would click the LSC back down for the rest of the trail.

At first I wasn't sure how it would react on the drops and chunky stuff with that much sag (vs what I had been using). I was expecting wallow and blow through travel (again, old school expectation). Instead I was greated with plushness, control and overall much better ride! This fork just continues to impress me! Used all the travel on the biggest stuff, but never harsh bottom out. Quite amazing, as the fork just soaks it up instead of sending my over the bars lol.

My next step will be to drop a few psi more (68 down to 65) and trying 2 blue spacers (total 15.2cc) instead of the 1 orange (10.8cc). I felt a bit more ramp up with slightly lower initial pressure would dial it in just that tiny bit more. From there on, just a matter of tweaking the LSC for different conditions.

This fork is awesome.

#244 ·
Yeah, I dunno why but when I tell peeps to lower pressure and add more tokens... especially in the Pike thread, I get the reaction like I just fed their 1st born to the dingos!?

Anyways, I'm 190 ish kitted up and have 2 orange and 1 blue with about 53psi. No dive/wallow and very nice ramp up towards the end of stroke. I recently opened up the rebound a bit more and got a bit better traction.

#248 ·
How many spare volume spacers did you have in the box? Mine came with one blue and three orange ones. I'm just wondering do I have only one blue installed or maybe more as I have to lower the pressure to 50-55PSI to use almost full 160mm travel no matter how hard I'm smashing the bike (weight 185lbs)

#254 · (Edited)
Hi guys, my 36s arrive tomorrow so looking for a bit of advice on setup as this will be my first fully adjustable front fork that I'll be having to setup from scratch.

They're replacing a set of X-Fusion Sweeps which I just haven't got on with on my Spitty since day one.

Pau11y I'm quite interested in how your running yours as I'm about 190 kitted up ready to ride as well. What I'm looking to setup is so that I get good traction on the rough stuff like roots and rocks not diving in to the travel under braking like the Sweeps seem to do but also retain plushness and still be able to take medium sized hits easily.

Its 160 650b forks I've got coming, should be a good pairing with my CCDBA.

#255 ·
My setup is the following for a 200 lb RTR weight. All clicks are from wide open/full fast.

62 PSI
Low Speed 4 clicks
High Speed 4 clicks
Rebound 7 clicks

Rode/raced Mammoth Kamikaze last weekend on this setup with massive bomb holes in every corner (18-30" braking bumps) and a few 5' drops and only bottomed a few times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.