Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2015 Fox 36

202K views 1K replies 179 participants last post by  Pontyrider 
#1 ·
Has anyone got any info on the new 2015 Fox 36?

From what I have seen it looks like they have moved away from using a spring on the air side to using air.

I think I will have to get one for my new bike when they come out.

#2 ·
I would love to see a ride report from anyone. Rumor is that this is the best fork they have released in years. I know they were benchmarking the Pike for ride quality and think they have it beat. The 20 mm through axle is very appealing along with the stouter chassis.

#5 ·
I think it looks cool, like the 20mm option and independent hi/lo adjustments, but will reserve judgment until it's been beat on for awhile. Fox's annual marketing schpiel of "last year's forks had lots of issues, but this year's are awesome!" has become a farce (same goes for the annual "first look" reviews that regurgitate the ad copy). The Pike is obviously the fork to beat, if Fox hasn't been benchmarking against it for ride quality for the last several years, what on earth have they been doing?? it'd be great if they hit the mark with this one but frankly I'm surprised people are so optimistic given the recent track record. I'd be much more excited about a new Lyrik that shed some weight and sported the Charger damper, can't imagine it is far off.

#12 ·
Fox 36 will for sure be more expensive than Pike that you can now buy around 650 euros so I would expect it to be much better than it instead of just equal in performance as the reviews mention. There are for sure some positive points about the 36 but it seems that the reviewers were not blown away by it.

Since I am looking for a new 170mm fork and I am willing to spend around 1.000 euros I was eagerly waiting for the 36 but it seems that I need to wait a little bit more for some user reviews as well.

#14 ·
For sure it sounds better than the previous versions. Also they have more size and axle options than Pike especially for someone like me who wants a 170-180 fork that is not included in the Pike line. Yes there is Lyrik but this is another discussion.

All good but given the fact that this is a 2015 fork and will cost much more than a Pike I would expect it to outperform it to justify the cost. Anyway I hope that I am wrong and it is a great fork but I won't make any move until I see more reviews. And of course I still wait and hope for a lighter charger damped Lyrik.

#18 ·
Do we have any actual users' reviews?

To be honest I was expecting some more hype since this is supposed to be a game changer for Fox. Anyway even though I am not so crazy about Fox I am still considering the 36 as an option for my Reign SX especially since Pike doesn't have a 170mm option.

The positives about Fox 36 is that with the same a2c height I get 180mm instead of 170mm, it can be lowered if I change my bike, it is almost the same weight as a Pike but takes a 20mm axle and the reviews are positive enough.

My other choice is the Lyrik RC2DH which is much cheaper but also a bit outdated (I think).

#21 ·
Hi. I have thought about it and I know a guy who has one and is really happy but unfortunately where I come from (Greece) we don't have easy access to official service etc.

To be honest 1.000 euros are a lot of money for a fork and this is why I would rather prefer a Pike that I can find for only 650 euros but unfortunately there is no 170mm option and Rockshox replied to my question in Facebook that they don't have any immediate plans for a charger damped Lyrik, at least yet.

So I can keep my Domain RC which is a good enough but really heavy fork or buy the Lyrik RC2DH or spend the extra cash for Fox 36 or keep waiting since I have this feeling that I haven't find yet my dream fork.

#22 ·
Just a question, do you need this fork for your Trek Fuel? Looking for freeride/Enduro forks on XC /cross bikes it's not the best solution.

In other case, Pike is a great fork, in case you need a taller one for a correct/steeper angle get the 27.5 one, it only adds 10mm. Or if you really want to bomb hard get a 170 Lyrik Rc2c or RcDh, my brother has one in 180 mm and works almost similar with the Pike, maybe it lacks just a little small bump compliance.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I plan to upgrade my 2012 Trek Slash 9's Talas 36 160 with this new Float 36's.
But can't decide travel , 160 or 180?
As a2c is 9mm lower, 180 will only increase fronted 11mm, which can be tolerated.
But my issue is, if front is 180 than rear travel will stay 160mm (maybe max 167-168mm if I change shock too.) will it disturb Slash's lovely balance?

Which one would you pick for 160mm travel bike?160mm or 180mm ?

Reducing 180 to 170 , I also don't like the idea as fox says, all initial setups like progressive settings etc is either made for 160 or 180.

#25 ·
If it helps I have also been thinking about this. I've got a 2nd gen nomad and was thinking about the 180 vs 160, and decided when available I would buy the 160 mm version to keep things balanced, as you said, and also don't feel I need that aggressive of a fork. More people I have read reviewing a 180 mm on a 160 mm bike don't like it vs. like it.

The bit about it being tuned for that length from the factory also made my mind up that at 160 I want best performance rather than shortening a 180 and losing some of the factory performance.

But it also depends on your riding, if you pedal a lot or have a dedicated longer travel DH bike I would think 160 mm, if you mainly like to do DH with your bike and don't mind a slightly harder climb get the 180 mm.

#26 ·
I was also thinking the same. My Domain has 555mm a2c and 170mm travel and the new Fox 36 with 180mm travel has 555 a2c so if I didn't want to change the geometry and keel the same a2c I would have to unbalance the bike.

Amyway I finally decided to buy the Lyrik RC2DH that has the same a2c and travel with my Domain and is almost half the price of the Fox 36.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.