Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

2014 Rockshox Pike RC vs RCT3

Looking at ordering the Pike RCT3 29er when I found a decent deal for a RC model off of an Enduro. Have read some conflicting comparisons between these models so am hoping for some clarification.

Aside from the 3 stage compression adjust is there any major difference between the 2 models? Any reason not to choose the RC? Do they both feature the same damper?

Many thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    RC is cheaper and has open-to-lockout low speed compression adjusting (i.e. like in older Motion Control forks) instead of 3 positions control (with low speed only effective on open mode as I understood).

RCT3 is 10-15% more expensive, so if you aren't totally in "I need 3 positions and can't adjust it manually by myself by counting clicks", then get the RC.

See it for yourself:
    Pike spare parts:
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/_v...pc_rev_a_0.pdf

Pike Service Manual (Page 4 and 5):
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/si...e_manual_0.pdf

mtbr member
    I have an Rc. I only lacks the 3 stage compression adjust you mentioned. Otherwise it is the same fork. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Brett

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

2014 Rockshox Pike RC vs RCT3

Wish I had the option of buying an RC instead of the RCT3. The climb setting is semi-useful when I know a long climb is coming up, otherwise I'm running it in the open setting. In addition, turning the open setting adjuster to fully closed pretty much locks up the fork anyway (not fully obviously, but you get my point). So, the RCT3 is just a semi-quicker way to get to a climbing setting. Not worth it in my opinion. In addition, PUSH has hinted that they will be producing their RC2 damper adjuster for the Pike much like they did for the Fox 34. Instead of forking out $1000 for an RCT3, I'd rather buy a the RC for cheaper then get the PUSH mod.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Great news, thanks all. Found a deal on the RC for significantly less so glad I am not giving up anything that I would use often.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I was also considering the RC so this is good info, thanks. Any suggestions where I can buy an RC? Everything online seems to be the RCT3.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yaletown View Post
    I was also considering the RC so this is good info, thanks. Any suggestions where I can buy an RC? Everything online seems to be the RCT3.
    RC model is OEM, only the RCT3 is available aftermarket usually.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Does that mean the RC is only available directly from Rockshox? Or from the LBS? Or does it mean that Rockshox only supplies it directly to bike manufacturers and not retail?

mtbr member
    Directly to bike manufacturers only.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So is the RCT3 damper base valve fit-able into the RC? For a 29er 160mm fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The three position capability of the RCT3 is basically useless on a fork like the Pike, so I'd grab the RC and go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Same actual base valve and midvalve stacks though? Just missing that one other climbing mode on the top?

Has anyone done much in the way of valving work on these things?

I've read a couple places that these forks get a lot better after a thorough rebuild and greasing. Is it worth doing that right off the bat?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've owned both. I only run the fork wide open and absolutely can tell no difference in damping quality between the two.

Elitest thrill junkie
    "Base valve" usually refers to a compression valve at the bottom of the fork, a classic open-bath layout. A bladder-cart fork like the Pike doesn't really have a "base valve", as the compression valve is at the top of the cartridge. The rebound valve is at the "base", but since it's a totally different kind of damper it's not really the same thing.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    "Base valve" usually refers to a compression valve at the bottom of the fork, a classic open-bath layout. A bladder-cart fork like the Pike doesn't really have a "base valve", as the compression valve is at the top of the cartridge. The rebound valve is at the "base", but since it's a totally different kind of damper it's not really the same thing.
    Sorry, but that is incorrect. Base valve refers to the passive valve in the system. Twin chamber moto forks are arranged the same way with the BV at the top with a spring compensator instead of a bladder.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by GH28 View Post
    Sorry, but that is incorrect. Base valve refers to the passive valve in the system. Twin chamber moto forks are arranged the same way with the BV at the top with a spring compensator instead of a bladder.
    Never heard it that way. Do you mean twin chamber or twin piston, as referring to two compression pistons, one that usually is spring loaded as you mention?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Well, the MX twin chamber forks are basically the same thing as a FIT or Charger damper, rebound rod down, sealed, with a compensator, and separate lubricating fluid in the outer leg of the fork.

They all technically have two compression pistons that are metering pressure away from the main chamber between them. The MV usually passes 75-85% of the fluid, and the rest gets displaced through the BV.

Here's a picture: http://www.shimrestackor.com/Figs_Ti...amber-fork.png

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Never heard it that way. Do you mean twin chamber or twin piston, as referring to two compression pistons, one that usually is spring loaded as you mention?
    I'm sure you've already guessed it by now but motorcycle forks that use closed damper systems are generally referred to as twin chamber. But it's also not true that all twin chamber forks use a spring. KTM obviously uses a bladder as I'm sure others do as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yup. Ohlins uses a pressurized IFP. There are a variety of ways to do it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Anyone ever put their hands on a RC with Dual Travel? From the RS site it exists.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    does anyone know if a RCT3 assy can be swapped for a RC assy?
    I see the internals listed for sale on Ebay.

I would really like a RC Dual 26"
    Last edited by riding4fun; 07-30-2014 at 10:51 AM.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Quote Originally Posted by yaletown View Post
    Does that mean the RC is only available directly from Rockshox? Or from the LBS? Or does it mean that Rockshox only supplies it directly to bike manufacturers and not retail?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Directly to bike manufacturers only.

Well the Rockshox RC can be bought for 300/400Euros shipping worldwide, as many have already done so on UK bike forums. Arrived within 3 days too

ROCKSHOX 2014 Fork PIKE RC 26'' 150mm Axle 15mm Solo Air Tapered Black - ALLTRICKS

There are various further 5% off codes floating about for Alltricks.

I don't bother locking mine out as it climbs so well, but with the LSC fully closed, the fork has such minimal movement you might as well call it a lockout.

2014 Rockshox Pike RC vs RCT3-img-20140809-wa0024_zps82bbfd0f.jpg
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

7am Backcountry ;- )
    So I just tried to buy from Alltricks with a USA zipcode and the price changed to 353 euro delivered? (with HT after the euro symbol) so how much TAX would a US buyer pay on 353 Euro???

[SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    They wouldn't pay any tax. There isn't any important tax and the site itself wouldn't collect any tax.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Absolute snatch then for any US customers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast