mtbr member
    Sep 2011

2014 Rock Shox SID RCT3 Solo Air tuning?

Ok, so I've searched this to exhaustion. I have a 2014 SID RCT3 Solo Air. I'm clear on setting air pressure and have found that I like it around 95-97 lbs for my 155 weight. Typical of what I've read, where folks like it on the lower end or below manufactures suggested.

I've also played around with the rebound (rabbit/turtle) and feel good about that.

The three position lockout works great on my single speed, i mostly run it wide open but love the lock out option on smother climbs.

But what I cannot find anywhere is how the "low speed compression" dial is tuned. The +/- knob inside of the RCT selector.

I'm a suspension newbie, any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    That's quite a high pressure for your weight. What sort of trails are you riding on?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hmm, I mostly ride the Greenbelt in Austin. It's fairly rocky with a decent amount of ledge drops. Based on the "fun-o-meter" red ring, I keep the fork just shy of bottoming out.

The posted guidelines I think are 90-120 psi for 140-160 lbs. rider. Figured at 95-97 psi I was towards the lower end and slightly below recommended.
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    The guide on my fork is fairly similar I think but I found it way too firm. I have mine at 80/70, it's a dual-air Reba, and that seems about right. And I think I'll be heavier than you, not weighed myself for a while, too depressing ;0) I don't do big drops at all, just small ones if I can't avoid them! ;0) Most people seem to find the suggested pressures too high.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I just got this same fork and would also like an explanation to the OP's question!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The low speed knob adjusts the firmness for slow speed impacts, like entering a corner and loading the front fork. The knob is just increasing the orifice for the oil to squeeze through. If the impact is large enough the oil will overcome the spring preload on the compression stack and you will be using the high speed compression valving ( shim stack). You should feel a slight difference on compression when pushing down on the fork when adjusted at both ends of the adjustment. With the lsc knob.