mtbr member

2013 Rockshox Sektor only 15mm TA?

Does the industry seem to be a bit uncertain? Is the weight savings of a 15mm axle really that much better than a 20? Am I missing something here? As if the upper tube diameters werent enough? 32,34,36 blah,blah,blah! I'm all for going with a stiffer whatever and a lighter whatever but alot of the wheelsets are 20mm specific. Why limit your market to 15mm axle when 20mm was already in production? I was thinking about going with a more inexpensive set of wheels. Mavic Crossline with 20mm axle and a budget fork like a Sektor. Natrually the 2013 sektors only show 15mm. Anyone have insight or question this?

mtbr member
    Unfortunately we participate in an industry that changes standards like the rest of us change our underwear.
    On the serious side though, it does seem that bigger hit forks i.e - 160mm and above are the only ones to be rocking 20mm axles, anything smaller is going towards 15mm. Blame Fox, they are they ones who seem to have started the whole 15mm axle thing. Rockshox held out for a year or two, then embraced it.
    Wheelmakers are covering themselves to some degree with spacers to be able to run the various sized axles.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    I can't help but wonder what the stanchions diameters are gonna do. It would seem logical that 34mm would be paired with 15mm axle and delegated to 150mm travel or less. 160mm travel and up would get 20mm axle.
    Speaking of stanchion diameter,"Does anyone know what the tubing wall thickness is on all these stanchions?" If a 32 is thicker than a 34 would the 34 be all that much stronger? I see the industry trying to make everything super rigid. I can't help but think about how steel is real because of its flex. A rigid skyscraper would snap in half without some flex. What point is all this rigid hype gonna come back and literally smack us in the face!LOL.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I spent about the last six months looking for and older tapered 20mm BB Rev and finally broke down and bought a 2012 with 15mm and converted my axles. What I've noticed is the tapered interface at the headset seems to be good enough. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have the 20mm but so far so good. I can always swap out the lowers later if it becomes an issue. This is on a Trail/4X/Dj bike, so I'm not running it at 150mm either. 130mm fixed right now but u-turn coil to come.