mtbr member
    Mar 2013

2013 Reba RL vs RLT - what's the difference?

I'm not having much luck googling this. Anyone know?

mtbr member
    The RLT has an adjustable "threshold/floodgate". Both have low speed compression from open to lock-out, the RLT has an extra knob for the floodgate (threshold).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks aresab!
    Do you know if the RL has an adjustable flood gate? Just no knob but still adjustable somehow?
    (I admit I don't know what a flood gate is)

mtbr member
    Typically if there is an internal adjust, RS will say so. Here is how someone explained Threshold a few years ago, it sounded good to me but there may be other explanations.

"From what I've been told is that its basically a big blow-off valve. If you set it at max, it more or less locks out/keeps travel small and stiff until you take a BIG hit, at which point the "floodgate" opens up and allows full use of the travel.

Basically, you can tune this so you have a good pedaling platform on say...a smooth course. So now you can blast down the course with minimal pedal bob. However a rough section comes up. You're obviously not going to stop and fiddle with the shock. The floodgate control then blasts open on the first hard hit and allows full use of the fork. Then when it settles out again, the floodgate closes and the fork stiffens up again."

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for your help aresab. I am thinking about ordering a reba RL, seems like the RLT runs $40 more on eBay/amazon.
    Now reading about shock pumps - dunno if I will need one or not?

mtbr member
    You should invest in a shock pump, I am using he Sette pump on pricepoint.com. If you buy a new boxed Reba, they typically come with a pump (unless something has changed this year). If you can squeeze out the extra cash, the floodgate adjustment allows for much more tuning, if not it's like a 60-70 dollar upgrade later. Good luck!

Class Clown
    It it worth having the floodgate adjust.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ok, you talked me into it - shopping for a Reba RLT with remote lockout
    The Suntour Epicon is probably a good way to go too, though trying to avoid 15mmQR for now and not sure about parts/service for what is basically an off brand - perhaps I'm off on both these points?
    The only reason I'm trying to avoid 15mm QR is an extra step getting things on and off my bike rack - using a seasucker now.

mtbr member
    Good to hear, but ditch the remote lockout. Using that (unless you buy the "remote adjust" as an option) and you loose the compression adjustment. The RS remote is an on-off - open and locked. I had a recon race with it and got rid of that the first day. Just a suggestion unless you prefer it that way...

15mm will be stiffer, but then you may need a wheel change, go with whatever you feel comfortable with. I ride with 20mm hubs predominantly and while stiffer for sure, when I ride my loaner with a 9mm qr I feel flex but it's not unrideable and I'm just shy of 6ft and 215 lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I didn't know the lockout lost functionality? Thanks for the info.

Class Clown
    I would agree the remote lockout is not that good, but the crown adjust is great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    Reba RLT crown adjust is on order.