Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Natty Dread

2013 Fox F29 120mm CTD Evolution Series CTD damper issue

Have owned a 2013 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 for approximately 5 days. Gone on 3 rides which translates into about 28 miles of riding. The fork was a little firm so I checked the Fox Website and reduced the PSI to about 70lbs as noted for my weight. After deflating the climb mode would no longer engage. On line manual said that it would engage after a few cycles. Then took the bike on an 8 mile ride and was unable to get the CTD damper to work other than it being seemingly open the whole time. Called Fox and they asked if any oil was present. My answer was "no". Not an issue they are familiar with. Brought it to the LBS the next day and they are sending it in to be serviced. I weigh 170lbs and while an aggressive trail rider did not push the bike beyond it's limits. I've also had issues on my 2012 Stumpy FSR 26er with the Triad having a knocking in the shock which had to be sent in that developed not long into ownership. Thought I would put this out there as I know this fork is all new for 2013 and there may be some kinks to work out.

MTBR Member
    It will be interesting to see what they say.

Was there absolutely no difference between descend and climb modes? The climb mode(with right pressure) is not a firm lockout. It might be that the lowered pressure just allowed a bit more fork movement in climb mode.

Natty Dread
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    It will be interesting to see what they say.

Was there absolutely no difference between descend and climb modes? The climb mode(with right pressure) is not a firm lockout. It might be that the lowered pressure just allowed a bit more fork movement in climb mode.
    No difference between climb and descend modes. I read that 3-5mm of travel during climb would be considered normal. Had my bike shop also verify what I was experiencing was not normal.

MTBR Member
    My CTD fork moves a solid inch in the climb mode(when really putting weight on the front end), but there is a very noticeable ramp up in compression in climb mode. I'm thinking that is normal for the CTD fork. Did your shop have any other CTD forks to compare?

Natty Dread
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    My CTD fork moves a solid inch in the climb mode(when really putting weight on the front end), but there is a very noticeable ramp up in compression in climb mode. I'm thinking that is normal for the CTD fork. Did your shop have any other CTD forks to compare?
    There was no difference between the compression between climb and descend. I rode the bike for 8 miles and probably 1900ft of climbing after it started behaving this way. The fork was bobbing on out of the saddle or seated climbs the same in all 3 modes. This wasn't the first CTD equipped bike I had ridden and it was performing much differently. Also, I did talk to Fox before bringing it to the LBS and Fox agreed what I was describing sounded out of the ordinary. The bike shop is familiar with these forks. This was not a hasty move and I'm not sure why I need to prove this beyond a reasonable doubt.

MTBR Member
    OK...Just curious, that's all. Sorry to irritate you and good luck with it.

Natty Dread
    Fox has offered to replace my evolution fork with the factory fit model.
    They were very sorry to hear this issue occurred within 3 rides and wanted
    to keep me happy. Thanks Fox!!!

MTBR Member
    And the issue was? Might give them a call to see how much travel there should be in climb mode, though mine feels right.

Natty Dread
    The Evolution CTD open cartridge Damper failed. Didn't get the exact reasoning.
    Nearly full travel in climb mode was not deemed normal.

Just Ride!
    Do you have any pics of your bike on the forum? I would really like to get a good look at the 2013 model since their big picture shows it with a Rockshox model. Also seems odd that you can spec an R XC with a 100mm fork on the builder instead of the 120, but it raises the bike price $500.

Thanks for any info. Hope you are enjoying the bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have a 2013 Stumpjumper EVO 29 hardtail that came with a Fox Float 29 CTD Evolution Series 100mm fork. Today was my 7th ride and today it crapped out. On any of the C, T, or D settings it's high travel, soft, and mushy. I have 118 miles on the $2400 bike and it took a ****. I'm pretty pissed!

To make it worse, I took delivery of the bike in Chicago the day before I relocated to Colorado so i ca't even go and deal with the LBS I bought it from.

Natty Dread
    Hey Kustomz,
    I don't have a good shot of my personal Superlight 29er with the Float 120mm on it. Here is a picture of the bike I demoed and did a review on: Santa Cruz Superlight 29er Urban Test Ride

The Santa Cruz website shows the DXC model I believe and that is the reason for the RockShox. The reason for the extra price on the 100mm fork is that it's not part of their package deal spec. SC likely plans on selling a lot of the "packaged" complete bikes and gets a better price on the kit and sells the complete for cheaper. I would tell you to go with the 120mm front. It's nice have the extra squish and slacks the bike out ever so slightly.

Oh and by the way. The bike is a blast. Love the low stand over height on the medium. It's very maneuverable for a 29er and now that I've got a few hundred miles on it I can really whip it around on corners as I am used to the bigger wheels and timing of a 29er just flying down the trail. The single pivot is quite plush and playful. I really like compressing and airing out of rollers and drop offs. It's not as stiff as the Tallboy but a more fun bike and an insane value for Santa Cruz quality. The only thing I would say is if you are 200+lbs you might want the Tallboy as it's a stiffer rear end. I'm 165lbs. I've been riding this bike as my full time rig here in NorCal and that includes some aggressive descents in the Sierra Nevadas. Can't believe I'm back to a 120mm/100mm travel bike after years of 140-160mm.

Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Do you have any pics of your bike on the forum? I would really like to get a good look at the 2013 model since their big picture shows it with a Rockshox model. Also seems odd that you can spec an R XC with a 100mm fork on the builder instead of the 120, but it raises the bike price $500.

Thanks for any info. Hope you are enjoying the bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

CTD issues

Hey everyone....

I have been talking with Ed over at Fox and he has been really helpful in taking care of any FOX issues. I suggest that \you contact him immediately if you want to be riding your bikes within the next few days. He was also pointing out that they now have a form online at their website that will allow you to send your products directly to them. All that you do is click the tab for Service and then Bike. This will allow you to use their On line RA form.

He told me that their turn around time is two days or less.

Let's keep riding while the weather is good......

Just Ride!
    Thanks flat!

mtbr member
    I bought a new CTD Trail Adjust shock about six weeks ago and it failed in the manner described by the OP after 10 miles of singletrack.

They replaced the damper cartridge. It's been fine for about 100 miles since then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

CTD Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan The VW Tech View Post
    I have a 2013 Stumpjumper EVO 29 hardtail that came with a Fox Float 29 CTD Evolution Series 100mm fork. Today was my 7th ride and today it crapped out. On any of the C, T, or D settings it's high travel, soft, and mushy. I have 118 miles on the $2400 bike and it took a ****. I'm pretty pissed!

To make it worse, I took delivery of the bike in Chicago the day before I relocated to Colorado so i ca't even go and deal with the LBS I bought it from.
    Ryan
    Have you contacted the Service dept at FOX (831-768-4844)at FOX? Ask for Ed, he will get you rollin again in a mater of a few days.

Good luck, FOX is worth the fight!

mtbr member
    Has this issue only been on the evolution series? Have any "factory" models been affected?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    skyak:

I had asked the same question to FOX. The answer was that the open cartridge is the only design that is affected. I have a 2nd bike with the CTA Trail Adjust Fit damper and it is better performing than my older RLC Fit damper.

mtbr member
    That may be true in terms of a wider problem, but my CTD Trail Adjust shock is definitely a factory item-- kashima coated, the works-- and it had absolutely no damping at all when it failed. The CTD lever had no effect and you could easily bottom out the shock by jumping on the pedals.

I'm very happy with the shock now that it has been repaired. It's the best air shock made.

mtbr member
    I am having the same issue with the CTD shock that come std on the Trek Stache 8. The switch stopped doing anything on my very first ride and the "loaner" that the dealer installed while mine was in the shop has failed also. Yes, he installed another shock on my bike to use while mine was in the shop. First rate dealer. My dealer thought that my first one may have failed in the stiff setting and I should avoid any aggressive riding in this setting, so I have avoided this with the loaner. Doesn't seem to make a difference. I hope FOX gets mine sorted out. I would hate to be shopping a new fork 2 weeks after buying this one.
    Last edited by friz; 12-02-2012 at 11:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Friz-

Fox turned my fork around the same day that they received it from shop. It came with a new damper and has been flawless. Stay on your shop to send it in. Actually, my shop was sent a Call tag to pick my fork up, that way I did not have to pay shipping.

mtbr member
    Thanks Sammy, mine should be back any day now. I'll post my progress.

mtbr member
    Can those who've had replacement dampers because of this issue please comment on whether there is an obvious difference between Trail and Descend on the repaired fork?

My fork is definitely firm in climb, so I don't have that issue, but I can see no noticeable difference between Trail and Descend, so wondering if this is another, albeit more subtle, symptom of a problem with these forks?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Mine is a CTD O/C 100mm Evolution series and I could feel a pretty substantial difference in trail and descend prior to it crapping out. Fox emailed me a shipping label for next day air, I shipped it out this morning, with some luck I'll have it back by the weekend in time to ride. Either way I'll report back how it feels once I get it back

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    speaking of which the O/C (open cartridge dampener) is only on the Evolution series, have people been seeing problem with the NON-Evolution series CTD stuff?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast