Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator

New question here. 2013 Fox CTD fork set up?

2 rides with my new 2013 Fox 34 Float 29 140 Fit CTD and I'm not that thrilled.

The "Trail" setting seems to lose the small bump sensitivity I'm used to with my old Talas 32 (I have a couple of them).

The "Decent" setting with the medium range seem okay for the portion of the ride I was using it.

With "Climb", "Trail" & "Descent" mode, and a "soft", unlabeled/middle & "firm" settings, has anyone seen a matrix or list of what is actually happening?

Does the "Trail Adjust" do anything in the Descent & Climb mode?

The shiny 77 page manual (11 in English) that came with the fork & shock don't cover CTD at all. The LBS can't help as this is the first one he has sold (the fork came with a complete bike).

Checking the Fox site doesn't show any sort of tuning guide for the CTD forks. (There is some marketing stuff that covers Fit, Kashima & 15QR.)

There is a little CTD marketing info here:
    CTD Explained | New for 2013 | Bike | FOX

What settings are people running?

Help please.

If anyone is curious how these things work, here is PB's take on it:
    2013 FOX Suspension CTD Damper - First Ride - Pinkbike

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I've only 30 miles on mine so far (got it Sat on board my new Yeti) and I sure don't hate it.

From what I've read, and playing with on the trail backs this up

- "trail adjust" has no effect in Climb or Descend mode, they are fixed-settings

To set mine up I applied what I thought was a little common sense and did the following..

- Set it to Descend mode, set rebound all the way out/off/fast
    - Set static sag
    - Set trail-tune in middle
    - Set to Trail mode (as I was going to be riding a bunch of ups n downs n rocks n stuff)

I proceeded to go for a 16 mile ride (at Moosic Mtn Conservancy near Scranton PA, if anyone cares to know).

There was one notable drop that I hit all afternoon, just shy over 2' to a flat rock landing.

By the end of the day I'd used all but about 1/4" of travel on the fork, so I dropped JUST A FEW psi out.

disclaimer: I haven't seen a tear-down or such by someone tearing into the damper to see what's what. This is all by feel.

Probably tainted quite a bit by New Bike Honeymoon Phase.

One of the members on NSMB pointed out that there is a 2013 manual available on the Fox site here:
    WebHelp

But there isn't any more info on the CTD than in the marketing info on the other page.

Time for me to eat some crow, the set up info is on their site, just burried 3 folders deep in their Java based help site I linked above.

34 FLOAT 29

Now at least I have a set up guide to use & explains what is going on in each mode.

More than 48 hours and no reply from their CS.

Never did receive a response from them, disappointing.

The moral of the story is RTFM (if you can find one...)

The starting set up detailed in the owners manual linked above is very close to what I like. I didn't have enough air in the spring & to much rebound (I'd set is 1/2 way in, the set up guide has 1/3rd.)

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    The fox manual surprises - my psi is definitely close - I need to compare rebound setting just to see where it has landed if for no other reason.

Fork works great though! Faintly wish I has the '13 CTD rear damper to match.

Sent from my brain using neurons fueled by caffeine

U $ 4 O?
    You're right though, this setup stuff should come with. Or at least quicker to access, that site reminds me of OS9. The booklets they've been sending called "owner's manual", kind of generic nothingness and a waste of paper

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I would think a 2' foot drop to flat, you shouldn't be using more than half your travel or so.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Depends on how well or badly you land. ;^)

There were other moderate/high speed chunk in the ride that probably accounted for more of the travel use.

I definitely used it up more aggressively without any real air time at all just this past weekend at Bald Eagle forest ... longer & faster downhill runs with significant rock fields and log overs.

Sent from my brain using neurons fueled by caffeine

6 days for Fox to reply with a canned response for me to check the sag.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    sad. not super surprising for e-mail support, but sad.

i really wish companies would state up front how long it'd take to get a response back.

having a 'bot auto-reply with "we got it, but it could take 3-6 business days for someone to look at your mail" isn't really THAT difficult, is it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
    Overall, still unimpressed with the CTD stuff?

I have a 2012 Talas 34 FIT RLC and debating if I should ditch it completely for a new 2013 CTD Float 34 or just do the Float cartridge replacement at the end of the season on the Talas.

The reviews I've been reading haven't been great (Bikeradar.com) and others completely the opposite of how stellar and finally getting full and plusher travel from the CTD (according to the guys @ Transition).

mtbr member
    I liked how the fork worked yesterday, I rode both the bike & the fork hard, the same way I ride my VP-Free other than I was keeping the drops to around 2 feet until I get more time on the bike.

That was only one ride though.

Maybe the fork is sensitive to air pressure, rebound or it is just breaking in? The changes from Rides #1&2 to #3 was 10 psi and 6 clicks of rebound. I'm now running the suggest Fox set up.

If people are still interested in how it goes with CTD, I can keep this thread updated.

Please do.

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Overall, still unimpressed with the CTD stuff?
    I liked how the fork worked yesterday, I rode both the bike & the fork hard, the same way I ride my VP-Free other than I was keeping the drops to around 2 feet until I get more time on the bike.

That was only one ride though.

Maybe the fork is sensitive to air pressure, rebound or it is just breaking in? The changes from Rides #1&2 to #3 was 10 psi and 6 clicks of rebound. I'm now running the suggested Fox set up.

If people are still interested in how it goes with CTD, I can keep this thread updated.

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    sad. not super surprising for e-mail support, but sad.
    Santa Cruz usually responds in hours.

WTB took a day.

The Fox response didn't even link the owners manual/set up guide for the fork.

I have no idea why they don't link the owners manual/set up guide from the sales tech info page for specific fork. It would also be nice if they included it with the fork instead of the 77 page shiny brochure with no info in it.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I have no idea why they don't link the owners manual/set up guide from the sales tech info page for specific fork. It would also be nice if they included it with the fork instead of the 77 page shiny brochure with no info in it.
    I also wish there was PDF form of the detailed manual, so I could put it in the PDF reader on my "overly complex and expensive computing device that also can make phone calls".

Hmm. Maybe a project in there for me to waste time on.

How it's going with my CTD fork on my Yeti SB95 you ask?

I have over 100 miles of trail riding on it so far, half of that in on Sat/Sun on some truly excellent NE PA singletrack with some double-track connectors. Lots of climbing (over 6k feet total in the two days) with commensurate descending.

Riding conditions varied from forest road to not-quite-buff singletrack to nowhere near buff singletrack to good traditional PA rock gardens going up, across, and down. I'd try to describe them but Team Dicky has done it so well when talking about his rides on the 2012 Trans-Sylvania Epic ( see comments on Rothrock in part 1 and RB Winter in part 2 ).

My CTD fork has been, to me, superb(-). I don't have a bunch of late model Fox-based experience though so I can't compare it to previous generation. My fork came on my bike and appears to have the full poo-poo-platter (it's a 2013 CTD Float 29 with Kashima).

The Minus comes from not quite getting full travel - the disclaimer being a) I have come within 5 mm or so and thus don't think there's an issue so much as I haven't hit it hard enough, and b) I am still playing with PSI to see where I want it. The "cockpit" setup on my bike is still undergoing tuning and that affects weighting of the fork in various conditions and thus fork setup.

Climb mode definitely most-stiff and very suitable for extended gravel-grinding climbs, and while leaving it in Trail mode also works well enough in those conditions it is perceptibly stiffer in Climb mode than Trail-3 (1==lightest, 3==stiffest Trail mode). Coupled with the RP23 in "stiff" mode and it makes my bike climb roads very adroitly. Not QUITE as solid as the Reba XX locked-out on my hard-tail, and visibly more mobile - especially when standing-hammering - but feels good. Doesn't feel like it's holding me back.

Trail mode is definitely suitable for overall use, as designed. I tend to use either setting 1 or 2, mostly 1, as even this does seem to cause the fork to sit a bit higher in the travel overall (vs Descend mode) while still be very active on the bumpy trail I ride. Setting 3 is NOT "like" Climb mode, but definitely in the direction of Climb mode.

Descend mode feels very different to me than Trail mode 1. Much more fork dive on rear-only braking, very very active. I swear that in this mode the fork behavior really makes me think of my other FS bike ( Titus Super-Moto setup for DH/FR with 2010 Boxxer ) .... I bombed some of the chunky stuff in Bald Eagle forest (what Dickey talks about in the "RBWinter" stage) at velocity bordering on inappropriate (in my judgement) for someone not wearing body armor. The front end of my bike never felt like it was throwing me around, it was tracking where I asked it to go, and was riding high enough that when I hit a couple surprise log-overs they were adroitly handled.

My previous trail bike is a Niner MCR-9, with 100mm stroke Reba XX on the front that I have tuned (oil and grease and maintenance) into what feels good for me. The Reba is good, but is significant steps behind the Fox. This I expect from a couple model year gap. The Niner is also way behind the Yeti in ride feel, the Yeti is much more "all my thing" - I'm happier on FS - just very picky on *which* suspension type.

Also, I currently have the fork at the stock 120mm stroke and am thinking about pulling it apart tonight and removing the limiter to take it out to 140. That is probably going to happen, so long as I have enough appropriate fork oil to put it back together. That will further slacken the head on my Yeti by almost one degree. Gotta remember to put body army in the bike bag.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I want to see reviews from the 140mm version

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by lavoiespeed3 View Post
    I want to see reviews from the 140mm version
    Mine's the 120/140 version, going 140 tonight, but won't get to ride it again until Wed.

What are you wondering about specifically on the 140?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    because at 120mm you don't really test the full" Descend mode '' I think at 140mm you will be able to make a better '' All Mountain Fork Review ''

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by lavoiespeed3 View Post
    because at 120mm you don't really test the full" Descend mode '' I think at 140mm you will be able to make a better '' All Mountain Fork Review ''
    Curious - why not?

FWIW, my fork is now in 140mm setting. Probably won't have significant downhill until the weekend (or Friday) but it'll see first action Wed evening. ;^)

It's going to be interesting seeing how the ride changes on the bike with ~1d slacker HTA/STA and so forth.

FWIW, the fork has the new SKF dust wipers. The foam rings were wet, but got more fluid. The lowers were well lubed and running perfectly clean so far (dang right - it better have been).

Now, to almost completely re-start tuning the suspension balance on the new bike. ;^)
    Last edited by bear; 06-13-2012 at 03:27 AM.

Niner's are the best!
    Apr 2012
    I just ordered my Fox 34 talas 110/140 for my new build. Rip9 I'll keep those who are interested informed on what I think/feel.

mtbr member
    So the CTD forks are capable of being adjusted from 120mm to 140mm? The good news keeps piling on.

I'm not sure as mine is already 140mm. Just measured and I have a 154mm from top of dust seal to bottom of crown on the stanchion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Maybe Arthur can help you out???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast