mtbr member
    Oct 2004

2013 Fox 36 Float RC2 - bottoming out

I am having trouble with the new 2013 - 36 Float Rc2 fork bottoming out too easy. I weight 205lbs kitted up for riding and am running 65-70 psi to achieve the 25% recommended sag. I have the high speed compression wound all the way in and 17 clicks in on low speed. Not hitting anything huge but still using all the travel to often with a few harsh bottoms too.
    Can I change the damper oil to a higher viscosity to increase the damping range ? and give me back some adjustment ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    fox suspension is generally pretty useless for above average weight riders. Pumping up extra air pressure, or winding up lots of compression just makes the fork feel like crap. The only way is to get the fork custom tuned...

if you are a heavier rider you better off with a rockshox or BOS or something like that which provides a useful range of compression adjustment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    changing oil in Fox FIT damper without opening cart?

If you want to delve into the damper, that thread is a good resource. You could change the shims in an afternoon, or just replace the oil in < 2hrs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Let the air out of the fork, unscrew the top cap, put 20ml of oil on top of the air piston and reassemble. Ride it. If it still is not progressive enough add a bit more oil. For 2013 Fox made their air springs much more linear. It is now easier to make it more progressive than taking the fork apart to make it more linear. This is a simply tweak that will take you 5 minutes and cost next to nothing.

mtbr member
    65-70 psi seems low to me for 205 pounds. Are you sure about that sag?

Post #4 is a very good tip!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    65-70 psi seems low to me for 205 pounds. Are you sure about that sag?

Post #4 is a very good tip!
    Yip 65 psi gave me 40mm sag = 25%

Tried uping it to 75psi and only got 20mm sag which is only a bit more than 10%, so small pressure changes make a big difference.

Fox customer service replied to my query today and suggested adding a small amount of Float fluid to the top of the air chamber to make it more progressive. Going to ride at 70psi and see what I think otherwise will try this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
    Yip 65 psi gave me 40mm sag = 25%

Tried uping it to 75psi and only got 20mm sag which is only a bit more than 10%, so small pressure changes make a big difference.

Fox customer service replied to my query today and suggested adding a small amount of Float fluid to the top of the air chamber to make it more progressive. Going to ride at 70psi and see what I think otherwise will try this.
    Meh... Try the oil level first. 5ml changes, reset sag, test ride. Float fluid works...but can get expensive. I just used motor oil, specifically 20/50 wt.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮