Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

2013 Forks Mazocchi, Rock Shox or X Fusion

I know there are a couple of similar threads out there but I wanted some fresh advice. I need a fork for my ibis HD (just put a CCDB Air in the rear). I've got a Marz 55 RC3 V2 Evo Ti ordered but I'm beginning to have doubts about the future of the company and have decided to rethink my decision. I just removed and sold a 2013 Fox 36 160 RC2 Kashima because I was underwhelmed by the performance. I weight just under 200 with gear.

My main focus is having a bike that will perform well in Moab and Southern Utah but I also want it to climb fairly well. Will occasionally ride smooth alpine trail and bike park stuff as well. I'm looking at the forks in the 170 travel range. Considering air or coil.

Marzocchi 55 Evo Ti
    X Fusion Vengeance HLR
    Rock Shox Lyric RC2 DH

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nothing that I have tried feels better than the current Marz 55 Ti IMHO. I bought one on the cheap to replace my Pushed 36 Talas and the ride is markedly smoother. My first ride down The Whole Enchilada was an eye opener with the Marz. It was the first time I finished that trail without significant arm pump and sore hands.

I have spent some time on a Rock Shox Lyrik RC2 DH but not enough time setup properly to give an educated opinion.

In short, I would buy for feel and not try to prognosticate on what company will or will not be in business for a purchase of this size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've had lyrics, loads of 36s, deville 170 on my HD, now running 55 rc3 evo ti.
    If you need light weight then Deville. If you want the best performing fork then 55 wins.
    400gs heavier than the deville but they're just awesome.

moaaar shimz
    Try to ride a Vengeance and you'll see why everyone that buys one never go back to Fox/RS/Marzocchi.

Knollician
    X Fusion would be my choice...however understand that they do have a slightly taller a2c which may affect your climbing. For the price, stiffness, and damper on the X-Fusion, it is hard to beat.

I have a Lyrik with an Avy cartridge, which I think is the best fork I have even been on, if you can find a Lyrik cheap, get an Avy cartridge and you have another winner.

Not sure when the 2013 X Fusion products will be available. Can't wait to see them.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    X Fusion would be my choice...however understand that they do have a slightly taller a2c which may affect your climbing. For the price, stiffness, and damper on the X-Fusion, it is hard to beat.
    The difference in A2C is next to nothing. If you change the size of your tires you can make a larger difference. Heck it seems like the only complaint that people can ever come up with for this fork is that they think it *might* be taller than some other forks. I bought one a while back and I can tell you I won't be going back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I agree that your micro-economic decision should not be made on macro-economic factors, you just won't be affected by them.

I am now giving X-Fusion a chance because of their superior damping and overall stiffness. Also, I have heard nothing but good words about the air system they have (and I'm getting), and the coil was even called "too good". Read here about the air and here about the coil.

Also, please note that 2012 and 2013 models are no different in a2c than RS or Fox. Here is a proof, posts #19 and #20.

Tell us what you decided finally!

Inrideo est vita
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post

I have a Lyrik with an Avy cartridge, which I think is the best fork I have even been on, if you can find a Lyrik cheap, get an Avy cartridge and you have another winner.

Not sure when the 2013 X Fusion products will be available. Can't wait to see them.
    2013 Vengeances should be in stock late January.
    If you are at all concerned about climbing, you can always buy the DLA version where the travel (and ultimately the axle-to-crown height) can be dropped by 30mm from 170mm to 140mm with a flick of a switch.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    waitejasoe - if you pay the highest possible price, expecting highest possible ride quality is somehow natural... Glad that you got it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just purchased a 2012 X-fusion Vengeance HLR 170mm to replace my 2007 Marzocchi 66 SL1 ATA's 180mm.
    The only reason for new forks was that the par chamber valve snapped off the bottom.
    I can confirm that the axle to crown height is the same between the 2, even though the vengeance has 10mm less travel.
    I love the X-20 axle.
    Im 105kg without gear and only need 70psi in the vengeance, compared to 150-170psi in the 66.

When speaking to the australian distributor i learned that the 2012 and 2013 models had barely any differences, despite the price hike of about $100-$150. but still cheaper than Fox or Marzocchi.

I feel that they are much better value.

Roy.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    for the price my x-fusion velvet 140mm is the best fork I've owned. Being able to drop it down to 110mm on the climbs is awesome. Not to mention I can lock it out also which makes it very versatile and fun. best $400 I've spent on suspension. The shock is as good if not better than by fox rp23 (different bikes so its hard to compare).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenocatalyst View Post
    Im 105kg without gear and only need 70psi in the vengeance, compared to 150-170psi in the 66.
    Ha ha, yea that can go both ways. I weigh 125 lbs after eating a whole pizza so I have to run around 30 psi to get the correct sag on my Vengeance. Still works and gets full travel even though its 15 psi under the minimum!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire View Post
    The difference in A2C is next to nothing. If you change the size of your tires you can make a larger difference. Heck it seems like the only complaint that people can ever come up with for this fork is that they think it *might* be taller than some other forks. I bought one a while back and I can tell you I won't be going back!
    According to their website it's over an inch of difference. That's a big deal and much more than changing tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pieroglif View Post
    I agree that your micro-economic decision should not be made on macro-economic factors, you just won't be affected by them.

spoken like someone who's never faced parts unavailability due to supplier out of the market. It happens, and if your otherwise-functional fork is made useless by impossible to get seals or bushings or something, it will affect you. It's happened to me a couple times (though not recently).

That's not to say I think it's likely to happen with Marz, but if the OP knows something I don't, I'd understand his desire to go elsewhere.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    According to their website it's over an inch of difference. That's a big deal and much more than changing tires.
    No its not an inch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    No its not an inch.
    You're right, set at 160 it's not even half an inch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    How easy is it to shim down a vengeance to 150mm? Going to be in the market for a new fork but want the a2c around the same as a revelation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Super easy

They are internally adjustable from 170 to 150 to 130mm.
    Anywhere in between and you'll have to make spacers.

Roy

mtbr member
    As stated above, it is very easy. Took me all of 30 min to do. The most difficult part is finding a roll pin to fit.

Trips for Kids Denver
    Oh man, I'm saving up for a fork upgrade for my Rumblefish. It currently has a Fox F29-32 open bath 120mm DRCV and I'm obsessing over either the Fox F29-34 140mm ctd or X-Fusion's equivalent. I've had nd loved a lot of Fox forks but the 32mm stanctions don't seem stiff enough for the Rumblefish. It's 4 months old and at Fox for warranty service.

I suspect binding between the tubes is eating the seals prematurely.

I'm having a hard time confirming the X-Fusion offset. I emailed X-Fusion a few days ago.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have not ridden an X Fusion.

I rode all last year on the 55RC3 EVO ti on my HD. It is by far the smoothest fork I have ever ridden and nice and lively with the ti spring - and stable and can be hammered hard bike park style with no ill effects in the stability. Also easy to self service and reliable. I have ridden and owned the Lyrik and many 36's since the 36 first came out.

The 55 has earned my allegiance. I sold the HD and fork. I went through a bit of panic last month when I went to order a new one and was told they were changing manufacturers(to Hodaka? who has built their shocks for years) and that they would not be available until Jan/Feb.

I considered the X Fusion. Read some good reviews and fan mail about it. Having spent a season on the 55 and knowing it handled better than anything I've been on I pulled the trigger on a new 2012 on ebay last week - I need a fork now and can't wait until jan/feb.

I highly doubt Marzocchi is going anywhere. Their forks the last couple years are putting anything put out by the big OEM guys(RS/FOX) to shame.

Call Marzocchi directly if you want some assurance. You will not be disappointed if you end up on one.

Marz USA - 661 257 6630
    Marz Canada - 604 986 3675
    Last edited by JimEG; 12-25-2012 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    @JimEG - did you get your new fork yet? I am curious your impressions of X-Fusion, as I will be soon deciding between these two brands as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    To my knowledge X-Fusion has Vengeances in stock right now. 2012's, but as someone mentioned pretty much the same as the 13's.

moaaar shimz
    X-Fusion USA has no forks in stock right now. They will become available at the end of this month.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pieroglif View Post
    @JimEG - did you get your new fork yet? I am curious your impressions of X-Fusion, as I will be soon deciding between these two brands as well.
    I picked up a new 2012 55 RC3 ti on ebay a couple weeks ago. The 2013 are supposed to be out later in the month - same fork though, unchanged. I'm sticking with Marzocchi. I see no good reason to try the X Fusion. I'm sure they are good - based on reviews, but I spent a season on the 55 and I know that it is a great fork that served me very well from local trail rides to the Whistler Bike Park.

Not to sound like too much of a fanboy of Marzocchi, but the 55 really is an exceptional fork. I've been riding 36's and the Lyrik since 2006, and the 55 is in a whole other league.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast