mtbr member

2013 CTD vs 2012 RLC?

I potentially have the chance to trade my 2013 32 120 CTD for a 2012 34 140 RLC. This is for my 2 month old RIP, which I'm looking to get a bigger fork on.

I know in the 34, I'll see better stiffness, but I'm wondering, now that it's been out there for a while, how the combination of the more p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶e̶s̶s̶i̶v̶e̶ linear spring rate and adjustability of the 2013 stacks up to the 2012 RLC. Is this a good trade on my end, or should I keep looking?

*edited for typo...
    Last edited by kragu; 12-23-2012 at 08:57 AM.

mtbr member
    2013 forks feel the other way around(at least as far as Floats go) in my opinion-more linear, but maybe that has something to do with the new 2013 rate and Fox finally fixing the scraper seal oil migration problem that had many 2011/2012 Floats feeling more progressive than they were intended.
    Not sure what exact models you are looking at.
    The CTD system works fine-people get used to it and it seems most people just leave it in Trail mode.
    The Descend mode may not offer the needed compression damping to dial out brake dive and compression in minor g-outs, but that is up to rider preference and likely why people ride in Trail mode.
    I'd make the call based on travel and chassis stiffness-you want more travel and the 140 RLC offers it along with the stiffer 34mm chassis.

mtbr member
    Sorry Norman - I meant linear and wrote progressive. The 2013 forks are more linear, and I like the feel, but I've never ridden a 2012 Fox and don't know how the old rate feels.

Is the feel of the 5 settings on the CTD achievable on an RLC setup? Or does the change in damper make it difficult to compare?

mtbr member
    The 2013 Factory series forks offer the additional low speed compression adjustments in Trail mode.
    The individual adjustments aren't as fine as on the RLC set ups-each low speed compression adjustment on CTD produces a more distinct change than on an RLC, but you can get close to the same place.
    That's why people leave the 2013 Factory forks in Trail mode after they tune in the low speed compression they are seeking. Too soft and too much diving in Descend mode and too stiff in Climb mode with CTD.
    So, I think to answer your question-Yes, a 2013 Factory CTD fork left in Trail mode and a 2012 RLC can be set up to have similar low speed compression adjustments and feel.
    If you like the 2013 rate, then a Factory CTD fork may be great for you.
    The 2013 Performance and Evolution series do not offer the additional low speed compression adjustments that the Factory series forks do.
    I would not trade an RLC for anything other than a Factory CTD, as I like to dial in low speed compression.
    2012 with no damping applied feels very similar to 2013 with no damping applied.
    2012 RLC keeps things the same all the time .2013 CTD in Trail mode keeps things feeling the same all the time.
    Basically, the difference is not night and day between 2012 and 2013 air spring depending on your settings.
    However, the 34mm chassis is noticeable stiffer than the 32 and that is a big plus.
    I like the 2012 air spring and I like the 2013 air spring as long as I can adjust low speed compression to my preference-which requires a Factory CTD fork.

mtbr member
    How does full open/full lock on the RLC compare to CTD's descend/climb modes?

mtbr member
    An RLC leaves you with your set compression settings all the time except when you are applying the "lockout."
    Descend on a CTD removes/negates your compression settings, so on an RLC you'd have to fully open everything to compare to CTD Descend.
    Climb on a CTD applies the stiffest low speed compression settings and doesn't provide any additional adjustment for lockout threshold.
    RLC lockout adjustment allows you adjustment control over the compression for lockout mode.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    An RLC leaves you with your set compression settings all the time except when you are applying the "lockout."
    Descend on a CTD removes/negates your compression settings, so on an RLC you'd have to fully open everything to compare to CTD Descend.
    Climb on a CTD applies the stiffest low speed compression settings and doesn't provide any additional adjustment for lockout threshold.
    RLC lockout adjustment allows you adjustment control over the compression for lockout mode.
    Ok, then I'm a bit confused about what the clicks on the blue compression knob do, if not alter your compression settings...

mtbr member
    You are correct-blue adjusts compression.
    Where's the confusion?
    As far as compression settings go:
    RLC= control over low speed compression plus the ability to adjust the lockout threshold(the point at which impact and shaft speed override the lockout compression setting allowing the fork to use more travel) to your preference.
    CTD-you are stuck with factory compression settings in Climb and Descend and you can only fine tune compression in Trail mode on the Factory series CTD forks.
    With CTD Fox is betting that the majority of riders will prefer the stiffest factory compression setting in Climb mode and the wide open lowest compression in Descend mode.
    RLC=you set the compression to how you want to ride + how firm you want the lockout when you engage it.

mtbr member
    Perfect explanation. Thanks so much!
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29