mtbr member

2012 Talas and 2012 RP23

I just got my bike (2011 Ibis Sl) and went on my first ride a little earlier. It seemed to me that the small bump complience was not good at all. Both the fork and rear shock seemed real stiff. The bike shop said they set it up for my weight (155 lbs) but I'm starting to wonder. Will it get smoother after more rides?

I havent tried adjusting either one because I'm not sure where to start or how to do it. It seems like my wifes specialized comp is smoother than mine. That fact alone leads me to believe the setup is not right for me.

can anyone give me some advice or suggestions?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    To begin with I would suggest checking the air pressure in the fork and shock against the tables listed in the ibis set-up guide (http://www.ibiscycles.com/support/set-up_guide/), my personal experience with the tables are that the pressures I run are equivalent to subtracting around 15 pounds from my real weight to get an the correct sag front and back. Or just checking the amount of sag front and back when you are on the bike with gear, and then going for approx 30% sag if you want a plush feel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It's not uncommon for suspension to "break in" a tab bit also. But overall you need to play around with pressures and compression settings to get the most out of your suspension. If you have done everything adjustment wise, then think about opening up that fork!
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Fox has a reputation for shipping light on oil. I would check to make sure your fork has the correct amount of oil in the bath area, and maybe turn it upside down for a bit.

MBA
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I too just recieved a 2012 Talas 32 and 2012 RP23 on my new Ephipany. Out of the box the stiction on the fork was very noticable, the first ride was alarming it was so harsh. All settings were appropriate. I now have 90 miles on the bike, the fork has gotten noticable better, but not plush yet. As for the shock, I dont notice any change, and the dials still appear to do nothing.

Anyone have more miles and are happy?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    interesting....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    keep riding. the rougher the better, i used to think that the talas 160 was the worst fork i have ever owned.
    a weeks worth of tahoe/north* have broken it in nicely. I now think it is the best air fork i have ridden.
    Hate the lack of HSC adjustment though and i will personally never change the travel so that is a worthless feature for me.
    the RP23 kashima has been awesome from the get go. didn't seem to need any break in at all.
    or it could be the bike (mojo HD)

MBA
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the response, I will.

I've found the travel adustment more useful than I had tought, just really easy to use on the fly for climbing. I have an '04 Talas that has the 13 clicks to adjust and I rarely used.

For the RP23, just read Mountain Bike Actions Oct review. Now I understand the dials are intended only to affect the first 1/4 inch of travel. Still, I'm not impressed with how little difference there is from the 0 setting the 3 setting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MBA View Post
    Thanks for the response, I will.

I've found the travel adustment more useful than I had tought, just really easy to use on the fly for climbing. I have an '04 Talas that has the 13 clicks to adjust and I rarely used.

For the RP23, just read Mountain Bike Actions Oct review. Now I understand the dials are intended only to affect the first 1/4 inch of travel. Still, I'm not impressed with how little difference there is from the 0 setting the 3 setting.
    sounds like an issue with the shock. you should feel a huge difference from 0 to 3. Not as much from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3.

you aren't on the bike jumping up and down are you? the platform only really effects the pedaling forces, not heavy body weight. On my RP23 just pushing down on the seat will show the difference between PP On and Off. If in doubt take it to your LBS and let them check it out before you put too many miles on it.
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    If the fork is RLC, try putting the compression setting on the least amount of compression damping.
    Someone suggested on another thread that an interesting way to understand the rebound is to ride with it fully closed and then fully opened to feel the difference. I would give this a shot as well.

You also need to verify the oil level and pressure as already recommended. There are also external variables like tire size and pressure. Tire pressure effects can be easily mistaken for suspension performance, especially the small bump performance. It makes the tuning process of both more complex.