mtbr member
    May 2006

New question here. 2012 Marzocchi 66 or 55 CR reviews / opinions ?

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about getting one of last year's Marzocchis through the trade-in program and was wondering about the CR damper.

I didn't find any review on these and almost nothing on forums.Everyone raves about the RC3 version, but what about these ?
    Any problem with the air valve ? Can you tune it internally ? Is it an oil bath or a sealed cartridge ? Info on Marzocchi's website is scarse.

I am also wondering about the black stanchions finish durability. My 55RS wore through the black finish in a few hundred ams.

Thanks for any info!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Same here, been looking and looking online for feedback and just came across one decent review.

Anyone else had time on these forks? Looking at the 2013 CR.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by guim View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was thinking about getting one of last year's Marzocchis through the trade-in program and was wondering about the CR damper.

I didn't find any review on these and almost nothing on forums.Everyone raves about the RC3 version, but what about these ?
    Any problem with the air valve ? Can you tune it internally ? Is it an oil bath or a sealed cartridge ? Info on Marzocchi's website is scarse.

I am also wondering about the black stanchions finish durability. My 55RS wore through the black finish in a few hundred ams.

Thanks for any info!
    For the price they are a steal.Haven't had them long enough for any view on reliability.They are a semi sealed cartridge called a Dynamic Bleed Cartridge . The air cartridge is just std type air spring and cartridge is not bladder type like in micro switch ta models.Just a simple back to basics version with LS comp and rebound adjust.As far as I'm aware they are fully shimmed . Not sure if our can change the shims[ ride great to me]. You can add oil above air piston and oil weights. LR and Cr are similar cartridge and there is a LR cartridge bleed video on you tube.

Some of my thoughts. Personally i think, out of the box, they may be too linear at 170mm but I've only briefly ridden them at 170[ more to do with bike Geo]

Wanting a stiffer fork in 150mm travel but which one?

Marzocchi 55 CR convert to RC3 EVO?

2013 Marzocchi 55 CR workshop manual

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the info. I didn't read much, but the scarse reviews I've read seems to rave on the post-2011 forks. I might just get one because like you said, they can be found for quite cheap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Here's some thoughts from our local riders.

Vorb: 2013 Marzocchi 55 Cr - Cycling | Mountain Biking - page 1 of 2

If you just want a review on 55CR air performance then here's one on the 55 switch TA. i presume air curve and cartridge shimming wil be similar even though they use both different air and oil cartridges.

Test ? Lyrik vs Float vs Marzocchi 55?s | I-MTB Magazine