mtbr member
    May 2006

2012 Lyrik RC2 DH Solo Air - Basic Service Info?

Hey guys, looking for a little info on a 2012 Lyrik RC2 DH Solo Air from the Rock Shox experienced. Ive searched and didnít really come up with anything, and the manuals posted on SRAMís site are all for 2011 and older. As I understand it, the 2012 Lyriks are different and the 2011 instructions donít really apply.

Im looking for basic tear down instructions for a standard oil change service. The damper cart is sealed, right? If so I will probably farm that work out but for the semi-bath fluid and lubing the seals Iíll do that myself. Also, any help for the travel change as well? From other threads I know the 2012 requires a different part than previous model years which I have on the way, but none of the other forums really gave info on swapping the travel baseplate.

Any other pointers or tips and tricks are certainly welcome

Im coming off a 2011 Fox Float 36 which I had no problem servicing the lowers, and pulling the air piston out to work on that. But I never messed with the sealed FIT cart in the Fox. Everything else was cake though, so I am comfortable doing jobs like that.

mtbr member
    Everything on it is easily user serviceable. Parts may have changed slightly but not enough to make any service change differences so the 2011 manual DOES apply. All the vids are on Youtube!
    RockShox Mission Control Service - YouTube

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 10-09-2012 at 11:40 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Everything on it is easily user serviceable. Parts may have changed slightly but not enough to make any service change differences so the 2011 manual DOES apply. All the vids are on Youtube!
    RockShox Mission Control Service - YouTube

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Gman is right. That fork is so simple to work on you will never send it away for service.
    2012 is like 2011, the biggest difference is the travel adjust. Just swap out one baseplate for another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Right on, thanks guys. So, are the listed oil volumes in the 2011 manual correct for the 2012 fork? If anything I would guess the volume for the air chamber and the lowers would remain the same, but did the damper change in 2012, and have a different oil volume?

As for the oils, do the three different oil locations (damper. lowers, and air chamber) only differ in oil by the weight? Also, any reccomendations for an oil soluble grease?

mtbr member
    To the best of my knowledge there was no change to the oil volume for the DH damper (193ml going from memory for the 170 version). Use Mobil 1 syn motor oil for the lower splash oil, syn gear oil for the air chamber oil (any thinner and it WILL blow by the air seal into negative air chamber), and good 5 wt oil for the damper oil - I stuck with Sram/RS oil but will also use Redline. You can vary that depending on your needs; there's a good viscosity comparison chart floating around on the forum showing all the brands and their true viscosities at hi and lo temps.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    To the best of my knowledge there was no change to the oil volume for the DH damper (193ml going from memory for the 170 version). Use Mobil 1 syn motor oil for the lower splash oil, syn gear oil for the air chamber oil (any thinner and it WILL blow by the air seal into negative air chamber), and good 5 wt oil for the damper oil - I stuck with Sram/RS oil but will also use Redline. You can vary that depending on your needs; there's a good viscosity comparison chart floating around on the forum showing all the brands and their true viscosities at hi and lo temps.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    I recall seeing a thread on here a few months ago and someone called SRAM and they recommended mid 180s for the damper volume. The number 187ml sticks in my head. I recently changed the oil in mine and used that amount and the fork works fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    I recall seeing a thread on here a few months ago and someone called SRAM and they recommended mid 180s for the damper volume. The number 187ml sticks in my head. I recently changed the oil in mine and used that amount and the fork works fine.
    187ml was for the 160mm Lyriks (converted to DH damper - mine was like that originally).

Have FUN!

G