g3h6o3

2012 Fox Float 34 FIT RLC vs. X-Fusion Trace RL2

Well it's really not my type to go asking for a comparison between forks for a purchase given there are so many factors but I need to chose today. Here is the situation:

I've been waiting for the X-Fusion Trace for a while. I paid a deposit on the fork to my distributor to get it ASAP. We're talking about the RL2 Unicrown tapered version. Last week, it was again put to my attention that the release was pushed back. Given the snow is melting and I want to try my new frame soon I'm reconsidering this purchase.

I went looking for alternatives and found a used Fox Float 34 FIT RLC. I'm not a big fan of Fox because of the rampup of their forks and lack of tunability but this FIT damper looks very good and is tuneable externally and the compression shim stack is accessible. I'm not sure I'll ever go to this depth of tuning but I would like the option and it's one reason I was looking at the Trace in the first place.

So here I am, not having a clue when the Trace will be available and having a proper alternative for cheaper. What do you gurus think of the FIT RLC damper? Would you wait and see of the X-Fusion is released soon or just jump on the Fox?

Any input is appreciated although I do realize nobody can compare the Trace given it's not available...
    Thanks
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    How much have you found the 34 FIT RLC for? Used price for them appears to hover around $500 or so. As for its riding, I love mine and much more stoked to have FIT RLC than the CTD damper.

g3h6o3
    Found it at 650 + shipping.
    I haven't seen many around and think it's a decent price.

I would not even consider a DTC... Have you rebuilt the damper? Did you try the RL2 damper from XF?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    wait for the x fusion
    the fox is not comparable with the x fusion plushness and build qullety

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by assaf_angel View Post
    wait for the x fusion
    the fox is not comparable with the x fusion plushness and build qullety
    What's wrong with Fox's quality?

g3h6o3
    You'll need to elaborate.

As far as I'm concerned both forks are as tuneable since you have access to the shim stacks. The Fox however has an extra LSC setting qnd sealed damper cartridge which should help get constant feel.

However the Fox's spring rate ramps up a lot towards the end but the 2013 spring with TI neg. Spring is backwards compatible and fixes this problem.

Apart from that there is a 8 mm difference in a2c with the Fox being longer. So as far as I'm concerned this point is the only in favor of the XF...