mtbr member

2012 Fox F29 FIT RLC Vs. 2012 Rockshox Reba 29 RLT

My Anthem 29 came with the Fox F29 RLC which suffered bent lowered after a few rides. I sent the fork for warranty service and they are sending me a 2012 F29 FIT RLC with Kashima coating.

The 2011 F29 never felt right. Never used full travel and had poor small bump compliance. Plus too much stiction.

I'm considering selling the new F29 Fox is sending me and going with a new 2012 Pushed Reba 29 which will be tuned for my weight and riding style.

I have a 2009 QR Reba and besides some flex, it performs very well.

Do you think it would be a step up selling the F29 and going with the new Pushed 2012 Reba?

Compelling, and rich.
    I had similar issues with my most recent fox fork, even after a full tear down and service.

I have a 2011 Reba RLT on my current rig and couldn't be happier with it.

mtbr member
    How would you compare both interms of performance?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post

The 2011 F29 never felt right. Never used full travel and had poor small bump compliance. Plus too much stiction.

?
    Sounds like your lowers have always been bent?.Maybe you were using too high a air pressure?r Common problem when you follow all mfgs[ not just fox] recommended air pressures.Personally think mine on my AX1 is brilliant and am not afraid to use all the travel and let the big wheels take the rest. Using body weight divided by 3 as air pressure on the fork and divided by 1.06 to 1.1 for shock and usually leave low speed compression and propedal off..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Sounds like your lowers have always been bent?.Maybe you were using too high a air pressure?r Common problem when you follow all mfgs[ not just fox] recommended air pressures.Personally think mine on my AX1 is brilliant and am not afraid to use all the travel and let the big wheels take the rest. Using body weight divided by 3 as air pressure on the fork and divided by 1.06 to 1.1 for shock and usually leave low speed compression and propedal off..
    I messed with the pressure and could never get the fork to feel right.

I got the 2012 F29 RLT FIT from Fox and I think I'm gonna sell it and get the reba 29.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A Pushed Reba is going to feel better than a stock Fox. You just can't beat having a fork custom tuned for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I messed with the pressure and could never get the fork to feel right.

I got the 2012 F29 RLT FIT from Fox and I think I'm gonna sell it and get the reba 29.
    Just curiuos, What don't you like about the new 2012 Fox RLC.....so many rides rave about em.
    more detail

mtbr member
    I haven't installed the Fox yet. Keeping it new so I'll be selling it and getting the new Reba.
    Last edited by Dictatorsaurus; 06-16-2011 at 12:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Interesting thread.

Am currently looking for a new 100mm travel 29er fork. The Rockshox 2012 forks have not properly arrived in the UK and to be honest their distributor is next to useless in being able to say which ones they are likely to be importing here.

I am probably considering the Fox Float RLC FIT fork or the Rockshox SID RCT (but the variations and permutations are a little baffling).

Ideally looking for a 1 1/8th fork, 100mm travel and will probably convert my Chris King hub from 9mm QR t0 a 15mm axle.

The problem is making a decision as to which fork will be best for my intended use of mainly XC singletrack use.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

mtbr member
    my 2012 F29 with kashima coat doesn't perform as nice as my 2012 Reba RL.

the fox is stiff and harsh while the Reba is plush and smooth.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    my 2012 F29 with kashima coat doesn't perform as nice as my 2012 Reba RL.

the fox is stiff and harsh while the Reba is plush and smooth.
    Have you serviced the Fox?

Have you adjusted the damping?

mtbr member
    The fox is brand new so I didn't service it. I've played with all the adjustments.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The fox is brand new so I didn't service it. I've played with all the adjustments.
    I'd highly recommend servicing it. Fox's are known to come from the factory with little to no oil in them, which makes them ride harsh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    I'd highly recommend servicing it. Fox's are known to come from the factory with little to no oil in them, which makes them ride harsh.
    Should I add oil in the lowers or the air piston?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would do both. The air chamber has also been known to come with too much oil, which can also make the fork quite harsh. Use Mobil 1 motor oil in the lowers, and 80w synthetic gear oil in the air chamber.

Wanderer
    If you have to service a new Fox to make it perform correctly then something is wrong.

Huge strike against the fork to me.

mtbr member
    I would do both. The air chamber has also been known to come with too much oil, which can also make the fork quite harsh. Use Mobil 1 motor oil in the lowers, and 80w synthetic gear oil in the air chamber.
    Is it ok to use suspension oil instead in both?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sure, you can use suspension oil, but Mobil 1 has better lubricating properties (a LOT better compared to some suspension oils) and the bath oil isn't used for damping in a FIT equipped fork. Considering it's cheap and readily available, there isn't much reason not to use it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    If you have to service a new Fox to make it perform correctly then something is wrong.

Huge strike against the fork to me.
    Rock Shox is the same way.

Honestly, considering all the various problems with suspension forks, needing to service it is nothing. If that's a huge strike for you, it's probably best if you stay away from suspension entirely.

official eMpTyBRain
    I have a 2012 Fox Float FIT RLC 100 (26er) on my ride. I've done my local 11 mile loop ride 4 times with it now. As it breaks in, it feels more and more smooth. I am very happy with it. Feels solid. More rigid than my last Fox fork. I did have my LBS check the oil level and it is fine...my LBS loved the way it feels. I think it was the first 2012 Fox fork they had seen at that point.

I've heard that the Rebas have been improved in the last year or so. I'm a Fox guy and always will be but it sounds like you'd be happy going either way.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Sorry Bad Mechanic, I have to side with Tuff. A fork should not have to be service right out of the box, tuned YES but not serviced(even though it is very easy). That like saying a brand new car needs a oil change right off the dealer floor.

I have never had to service any of my new forks, that includes one Reba, a S140 and E160.
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm not saying it's right, and it's absolutely something they should get right at the factory. However, as far as issues with suspension forks go, you have to admit it's a rather minor and easily fixed one. Heck, my last experience with Rock Shox was a miscast lower which was warrantied for another miscast lower, which was warranty for an entire new fork with a miscast lower and no oil in it. Now that's what I'd consider a huge strike.

official eMpTyBRain
    I'm not saying it's right, and it's absolutely something they should get right at the factory. However, as far as issues with suspension forks go, you have to admit it's a rather minor and easily fixed one. Heck, my last experience with Rock Shox was a miscast lower which was warrantied for another miscast lower, which was warranty for an entire new fork with a miscast lower and no oil in it. Now that's what I'd consider a huge strike.
    That's exactly what stopped me dead in my tracks for considering a RockShox fork. They have a common misaligned lowers issue...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Any reviews on the new 2012 Rockshox Rebas out there?